No Muffs? Bullets? Cheap way to get louder?

The Rev

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, I love the sound of the Mark as it is stock, but I want something a little deeper, powerful, louder. People say no muffs sound great. What exactly are bullets? Would I cut my muffs off and then add the bullets? Also, I assume I'll have to trim the bumper to allow something longer? I wouldn't be able to do too much besides hacking off the muffs, I live in Rhode Island, there are a few shops around but give me a few suggestions until the spring, mind you its just for a few months so I don't need to go crazy yet.

Ok, I love the sound of the Mark as it is stock, but I want something a little deeper, powerful, louder. People say no muffs sound great. What exactly are bullets? Would I cut my muffs off and then add the bullets? Also, I assume I'll have to trim the bumper to allow something longer? I wouldn't be able to do too much besides hacking off the muffs, I live in Rhode Island, there are a few shops around but give me a few suggestions until the spring, mind you its just for a few months so I don't need to go crazy yet.

No mufflers sounds decent. Bullets are another name for glass packs, basically a straight throu muffler thats barely larger than the pipe size. I slid glass packs into my tips so you can't see them. You need fat tires for this look IMO, when I have my stock wheels on the pipes look out of place. Check my garage for more pics.

LSCpipes.jpg

That doesn't sound too bad at all. I'll have to try that out then post a before/after vid. Thanks

i tried muffler-less (for a day) and didnt like it, gen2's are flanged midship so i just took the back half off. just didnt have the sound i would like from a v8

If you want cheap loud, cut em off, and if you dont like it, its already set up to put new mufflers on......

I have been mufferless for a while. It sounds great at idle and wot, but its so so on normal acceleration IMO. Some day I will put some mufflers on, probably flowmasters, until then I'll just deal with the drone.

I've been thinkin bout doin this for awhile. Let us know how you like it when you get it done.

The biggest problem with going muffler less is getting the exhaust to the bumper. If done wrong the drone in the car is unbearable. I had a nice set up with a dual tip that let from the bend where I cut off my mufflers to the bumper. Sound was nice. I changed to a 2.5" to 3" tapered and the noice was so loud inside I had to do something.

Changed to a 2 in 2 out muffler where the resonator is nocked off the 3rd cat. Ran pipes the rest of the way out. Sound very nice now.

They're OFF!

Yeah they're off. Don't sound too loud when idling, which is nice. But when I accelerate they're pretty throaty, which I really like. Everyone speaks of the drone, and yes it is definitely noticeable (but not so much to make me regret doing it)

I have a 93, I want to get a nice setup where I have at least 3.5 inch, maybe 4 inch chrome tips. I like the idea of glasspacks inside the tips like 96lsc talked about. The problem I'm having is the 93 has no cutouts for tips in the bumper. Because I'd probably mess that up if I did it myself.

Also, I've never really done too much research on the cats and resonators down there. Mespock have you done this yourself? If so what would I need to do this, noting I don't have access to a lift or too many tools. Also what is the benefit sound/performance wise?

Or should I just buy the glasspacks and the tips and let an exhaust shop do it?

Keep your mufflers on on dont cut them off do yourself a favor because fords neeeeeed back pressure it sounds loud but its stupid at the same time my buddy did it and it just sounds retarded loud but retarded. If you want cheap and save your self issues glass packs are fine. not very loud but a nice growl

well they're already off, I've talked to a mechanic down the street, im going to do what 96lsc did with the glasspacks inside of the 4" tips. Only problem now is that I'm going to have to cut holes in the bumper to fit the tips, correct?

Keep your mufflers on on dont cut them off do yourself a favor because fords neeeeeed back pressure it sounds loud but its stupid at the same time my buddy did it and it just sounds retarded loud but retarded. If you want cheap and save your self issues glass packs are fine. not very loud but a nice growl

Yeah. Resistance in the exhaust stream is beneficial to the power and efficiency of the engine. In fact, a good cheap mod you can do at home is get a big C-clamp and crimp your exhaust pipe(s) for that awesome backpressure. Note: this does not apply to Chevies, only Fords.

:rolleyes:

Members online

Back