No "ignition" sporadically

TownCarDude

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1992 Lincoln, and at times, when turning the key to "start", nothing happens--save for a faint "click" that seems to be coming from under the passenger side dash. All dash idiot lights come on, and thus far, the starter will eventually crank; sometimes it's simply a delayed reaction, other times I have to switch the key off, on, off, on; and other times it's perfectly fine ... I have checked all wiring and terminals, and all seems tight and clean (it's a very clean car, overall). The Haynes manual indicates that it has to be the wiring between the battery and starter, or else the ignition or wiring. Anything having to do with taking the steering column apart scares me ... anyone else have this trouble? BTW, the battery is strong, and once it gets ignition, starts right up.

TownCarDude said:
I have a 1992 Lincoln, and at times, when turning the key to "start", nothing happens--save for a faint "click" that seems to be coming from under the passenger side dash. All dash idiot lights come on, and thus far, the starter will eventually crank; sometimes it's simply a delayed reaction, other times I have to switch the key off, on, off, on; and other times it's perfectly fine ... I have checked all wiring and terminals, and all seems tight and clean (it's a very clean car, overall). The Haynes manual indicates that it has to be the wiring between the battery and starter, or else the ignition or wiring. Anything having to do with taking the steering column apart scares me ... anyone else have this trouble? BTW, the battery is strong, and once it gets ignition, starts right up.

I had the same problem with my 1997 Lincoln is where nothing happens where the engine doesnt even crank but everything powers up. It used to happen to my car where i went to go start it and nothing happened beside for my eletronics turend on. I used i would have to out it Neutral and stuff. If you have the stock ford alarm thats what does it. Ny nechnic figured out that the alarm wouldnt allow my car to start it would do somthing to the ignation. He bypassed the alarm for the ignition and works pretty good so far. Knock on wood

Thanks for the reply, but being a '91, it doesn't have an alarm system--at least none that I'm aware of. My wife noticed (and I didn't, at first) that this only occurs when the compressor for the rear suspension runs. Sometimes when you turn the key to start the car, the compressor begins to run immediately; most times it doesn't. But now that she mentioned it, that's the only thing different that's happening. Does anyone know if the suspension compressor running will keep the starter from engaging?

I found out from the original dealer (where the previous owners took it for maintenance and repairs) that they had done a suspension repair several years ago--cost $800, I believe they said). I'm wondering now if there's a short....

The air compressor uses a lot of juice, maybe you just have a weak battery?

I own a 91 town Car and i didn't have the problem that you are having even when my air ride compressor was bad before i replaced it. I don't believe that the air ride compressor running should keep the starter from engaging.

check the s-wire (small wire to the starter i believe its red with a blue tracer) if it is a "slide on" type as opposed to a eyelet around a stud and check for corrosion inside of the conn, VERY common prob with that style of starter ford sells a replacement end, but just try scraping it out with a very small screwdriver and checking it first, but if that fixes it i would replace it cuz it will corrode even faster now

Well - you're hearin' the click of the Silinoid (sp) of the starter - so the starter is gettin juice - just not turnin over.

Time to replace the starter. Also - since you are gonna be in there also replace that s-wire connector if there is ANY sign of corrosion. That will come up and bite ya' in the butt later on.

My 87 has a STOCK FORD anti-theft. It has the key-pad option also :p

The air compressor should have nothing to do with the starting of the car... I would check the starter, battery and the ignition switch(not the ignition cylinder)... Go to Checkers, Autozone, as most have a free startere, battery, alternator test for free...

I would gues it's the starter or the ignition switch...

Members online

No members online now.
Back