No Heat or AC

Donavan

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I did the hvac self test and I got the numbers 12-42. Does anyone know the cure for that problem? Thanks

B1242 has nothing to do with having no heat or cooling. If you have a 2nd gen LS, then it's a false code that means nothing. If you have a 1st gen, it could prevent heat from working, if it is stuck in the bypass position.

If you really want help, you are going to have to provide a lot more information.
Let's start with year of your LS?
Which engine?
Did both heating and cooling fail at the same time?
Does the blower work?
Does the AC clutch engage?

B1242 has nothing to do with having no heat or cooling. If you have a 2nd gen LS, then it's a false code that means nothing. If you have a 1st gen, it could prevent heat from working, if it is stuck in the bypass position.

If you really want help, you are going to have to provide a lot more information.
Which engine?
Does the blower work?
Hey thanks for the reply, so it’s a 04 LS with a 3.9L engine. After I installed a new heater control valve the car just blows outside air temps and I’m unsure if the ac clutch engages.

Which engine?
Does the blower work?
Also I read somewhere on here the 12-42 may have something to do with a blend door actuator that may be stuck open or closed

Also I read somewhere on here the 12-42 may have something to do with a blend door actuator that may be stuck open or closed
I almost scream when I hear this crap.
The LS has no air temperature blend door. It never did. Why is it so hard to understand that some cars use heater valves, and others use temperature blend door?

(Donavan, this is not aimed at you, but stop reading wherever it was that you read that.)

I don't know why I mixed up 1242 with 1265. 1242 is telling you that the air input door (for cabin air in or fresh air in) is broken. The actuator fails and a plastic rod breaks. You can replace the actuator, but due to the broken rod, it still won't work right. Fortunately, this makes only a little difference, and it is not your problem with no cooling and no heating.

There are many possibilities here. Assuming that the heat worked before you changed the DCCV, I suspect that you did not correctly fill and bleed the cooling system, so that the heater circuit is now air locked.

Follow this to the letter, with the front of the car facing downhill (not uphill): 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

As for not cooling, a check of the refrigerant level is probably the best first step.

Thanks I appreciate the info. I’ll bleed the coolant step by step and go from there

If you know where the ac compressor is under the hood just turn on your ac and go look at it and see if the center is spinning or not, should be spinning when ac is on and not when it's off, though it will click and start and stop periodically. That's the ac clutch he's referring too. Don't stick your fingers anywhere near moving parts when it's running.

Members online

Back