No Crank, No Start on a 2003 LS V8

ACDiecast

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some ideas on this issue, and yes, I have used the Google custom search extensively with no close matches. My 2003 Sport 3.9L has almost 90k miles and is always driven in the summer, and stored covered with a battery tender in the winter. That was the case this time, and the last time I drove it was around Thanksgiving and started in December. Living in Michigan we have had some extreme low temps, but the car has not started through those.

Yesterday I removed the tender, started it and moved it into the garage for the next morning. I let it run for close to a half hour with the auto climate set to 70, and when I returned to shut it off, all seemed fine except for the slight odor of antifreeze coming from the vents, which is probably a leaking heater core and a separate issue.

When I returned this morning, ambient temps around 20F, everything was normal. All of the cluster lights, dome lights, and door chimes were normal. The battery was around 12.5, which I know is slightly below where it should be. However, when I turned the key to 'start,' I only get an audible click from under the hood. It isn't a constant clicking that one would associate with a low voltage crank, just a single click that almost sounded like the starter solenoid engaging, but no cranking was heard. I tried this with the transmission in both Park and Neutral. I even hooked my large Snap-On jump box up for good measure, with no change.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Since I was running late for work at this point, I didn't get on the ground to look underneath yet, nor look at fuses yet.

What was the PATS light doing?
Did any of the lights that stay on while cranking dim? Could you try it with the headlights on?

You could check the voltages at the S, B, and M terminals on the starter. You could also try tapping the starter with a hammer.
B should always have battery voltage.
S should have battery voltage with the key turned to start. If not, then check the starter relay, wiring, PATS, ...
M should have battery voltage when S does. If not, it's the solenoid, which means the starter needs to be replaced.
If M has battery voltage and the starter is not turning, then the starter itself is bad.

Thanks, Joe. I'll try this when I get home. Where is a good place to find a terminal diagram of the starter, or are they marked?

Members online

Back