No A/C and clicking noise

Lizzy the Lincoln

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new. I just bought a 97 Town Car with 66k miles. The AC doesn't work and there's a constant clicking noise coming from the dash. Not sure if these are related but when I turn the AC or vent on the clicking gets faster. It sounds like the conpressor turns on but the air is warm not even cool. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Well lizzy if I remeber correctly it is a blend door actuator I'm not quite sure about the location on a Town Car but I do know for a fact where it is located on a ford taurus the clicking you hear are the plastic gears in the actuator failing to regulate you have to be pretty limber to try and fix it on a taurus hehe. Quite a bit of fords suffer from this issue even my aunts new 2013 escape has the same issue so don't feel to bad

Or it can be a relay some of wiring might have a loose or dirty connection you may never know always start out with the easiest and cheapest way first

you are welcome sorry it took so long to reply so do you have it fixed if so congrats

oh well all the best for you i hope you stay cool it got to 100 degrees F yesterday in Florida and i need a recharge on my R12 freon

Thanks. When I do the test the ac works for a few minutes then turns hot again. Looks like I gotta replace the blend door. 100 degrees without ac is brutal, it was 85 in pa yesterday which is too hot for me with no ac. Does anyone know where I can find a video or instructions to replace the blend door on a 97 town car? Thanks

Does it matter what brand blend door actuator I get? Autozone/pepboys only sells a dorman for $42 or should I only buy motorcraft and order it online?

I agree the clicking sound is likely the actuator and I've always heard that this is one part it's worth going Motorcraft for compared to the less expensive Dorman variety. Apparently the Dorman version tends to break quite regularly and the lifespan is short. I don't believe there to be too much difference in price, but I've no firsthand experience with that myself; I'm only going by what I've read from other Lincoln users and sites. Good luck!

I agree with AC75 it would probably be best to go for the motorcraft actuator I haven't tried any dorman products I have always went with motorcraft the best of luck for you

oh well all the best for you i hope you stay cool it got to 100 degrees F yesterday in Florida and i need a recharge on my R12 freon

try a product.called.R-12a. Environmentally safe and.available as a direct add in, no modifications. It is available.from several.sources on eBay. All you do is use 1/3 of the volume the.old.R-12 system.used

Thanks for everyone's help I was able to replace the blend door actuator this past weekend. The instructions on lincolnsonline was very helpful.

Members online

Back