Newbie to Ls,Have a few questions.

fbodyfreak

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Just picked up a 2002 v8 Ls just the other day and have a few questions. What are the factory shift points? mine shifts about 2200 2500 and seams way high to me. Already searched and I don't have the typical symptoms of a bad solenoid pack. It shifts smooth and soft and shifts int every gear, it just seams high. But im also used to lt1/ls1. I know ill have alot more questions befor its all over. Ill also post picks.

photo21.jpg
photo1.jpg

There are four shift points (for five gears), and at what vehicle speed and engine RPM they happen at depends on your acceleration rate among other things. At steady cruise, you should be in 5th by 30 mph and above. 20 to 25 MPH cruise should be 4th normally.

If you have SST, you can push the shifter over and see what gear you are in on the display.

No SST on mine. Wish i did. Its just shifting at a higher rpm than im used to. And just taking off normally, it shifts high. Rpm not speed.

So im guessing how its shifting is normal?

That's hard to say from here. What RPM are you running at versus highway speed (like at 60MPH)?

I assume your check engine light is not on?

No cel. Im 37 and have worked on a lot of cars, and I have my own obd2 scanner. I have just stayed away from Fords or any of there sister brands for a long while. I picked this up as a cross country cruiser when i don't want to drive any of my f bodies. At 80 mph im at 2300 or so rpm. im just saying from a full stop and normal city driving the rpms seam high w it finally shifts. I can feel four shifts, as it starts in first.

No cel. Im 37 and have worked on a lot of cars, and I have my own obd2 scanner. I have just stayed away from Fords or any of there sister brands for a long while. I picked this up as a cross country cruiser when i don't want to drive any of my f bodies. At 80 mph im at 2300 or so rpm. im just saying from a full stop and normal city driving the rpms seam high w it finally shifts. I can feel four shifts, as it starts in first.

I think normal then. It's possible to get to 80 or so without ever going over 2500 RPM, but that's unreasonably low acceleration.

If it helps your mind, this car is more Jaguar than Ford.

Disconnect the Battery

Try disconnecting the Battery for a while (1/2-1 hour or longer). This will reset the transmission and it will slowly re-train itself to your driving habits. You may have some hard shifts at first but they will work out in time. When you first disconnect the battery turn the headlight switch on and off or other power source to help drain down any residual electrical build up.

Been watching a lot of just driving around vids of LS. mine drives exactly like all of those so its normal. guess ill get a tune and change the shift points to be more firmer and some other things.

Members online

Back