Newbie needs help

SuperDuper

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Had an aftermarket stereo installed in my '95 Mark VIII. Now it putt-putts at an idle and up to 40 MPH with no power. Also has an awful exhaust smell. Changed spark plugs, checked fuses and vacuum lines. Is the stereo installation a coincidence or is there something under the dash that could have been disturbed. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome. Usually failing Catalytic Converters smell like rotten eggs, or so I've been told. Is that your smell?

Ha! Ha! thats funny Mark, just used my sig. from Nitromater forum.

Not rotten egg smell, more like a chemical smell.

i know exactly what smell you are talking bout (personally i love the smell, it verges on big block) check out your 02 sensors, chances are they are failing, i had the same problem, and i can almost guarenty you that it is that. i got new 02's and the smell and "put put" went away. good luck with the car

MrWilson said:
i know exactly what smell you are talking bout (personally i love the smell, it verges on big block) check out your 02 sensors, chances are they are failing, i had the same problem, and i can almost guarenty you that it is that. i got new 02's and the smell and "put put" went away. good luck with the car

Could the 02 sensors fail on my '95 with only 55k?

Sure. Check the search function for o2's. There is a guy that sells them cheap. His email was posted by 1wykdmk8

Chech the EGR valve that would explane the huge los of power it is a $60-$80 part.

SuperDuper said:
Could the 02 sensors fail on my '95 with only 55k?

mine were done anywhere from 46-50, so i went b4 urs did

MonsterMark said:
Sure. Check the search function for o2's. There is a guy that sells them cheap. His email was posted by 1wykdmk8

I get ZERO credit whenever I try and help people out.
It was I, that posted the info, you can get all four new O2s for 78bucks, or just 2 for 48 bucks.

unstoppable said:
I get ZERO credit whenever I try and help people out.
It was I, that posted the info, you can get all four new O2s for 78bucks, or just 2 for 48 bucks.

Amen !! :wave

Just had that problem today. It ended up being cracks in the boots on the plug wires inside the valve covers. This was causing the spark to arc and cause a misfire and the smell was from the poor burn. I put 8 new boots on for $110.00 and the car is back to running perfect

cobra8 said:
Just had that problem today. It ended up being cracks in the boots on the plug wires inside the valve covers. This was causing the spark to arc and cause a misfire and the smell was from the poor burn. I put 8 new boots on for $110.00 and the car is back to running perfect
I'm glad you posted this, as we did o2s and have driven 400 miles and it's still the same with no codes. Will check into the boots.

I am totally confused....lets start over, since we all know, throwing parts at a car trying to "guess" what's wrong is a waste of money.

How soon after the stereo installation, did the car act up? If it was the same day, or a day after, then lets go back to the electrical system.

What else did you have done? Did they also do an alarm? Was there any "under-hood" work other than routing power wires?

I am definately leaning on intake, more than ignition/exhaust. If there is a massive vaccuum leak, or an unplugged air sensor of some sort, the car will run like a one-legged kangaroo.

answer the above questions, and I'll help ya sort it out.

i'd like more info on the egr valve...at 160+k i'd like to replace and get it outta the way, im not stealing this thread, but could someone post egr replacment procedures....thanks jeff

BlackIceLSC said:
How soon after the stereo installation, did the car act up? If it was the same day, or a day after, then lets go back to the electrical system.

What else did you have done? Did they also do an alarm? Was there any "under-hood" work other than routing power wires?
Actually it was on the way home from Best Buy! Since it was just the stereo install, they shouldn't have been under the hood at all unless they unhooked the battery. No vacuum leaks under the hood or under the dash. Changed spark plugs. Check engine light did come on after that (for 20 seconds) and computer did show o2 code. Changed o2s. Mileage has picked up but still runs crappy. Haven't got to the boots yet.

First mistake was letting them touch your car. I am shocked that you would do such a thing. I know "they are supposed to know", but more electrical issues stem from crappy stereo installs, than any other related problems.

I would disconnect both + and - on the battery for 30 minutes. Then, reconnect it and make sure the terminals are corrosion-free, and tight.

Then, I would make my way down there, and ask the store manager what he intends to do to fix your car now that it is broken.

having an electrical problem is no joke. If it truely was "fine" before they touched it, then why would you assume it was just a coincidence.

I walk past a "worst buy" every day to get coffee. I see BRAND NEW cars in there getting install's done...and you can see the 18 yr old kids/installers, joking around, and having "whip" fights with strands of wire...not the kind of place I'd take my $50k brand new car(or my "used to be $40k Lincoln")

Quit throwing "guesses" at your car, and either take it to get it scanned, or let someone who knows the EEC-IV/OBD-I system.

I know of 4 vehicles that have had to be completely re-wired, and new ECU's installed from shotty car-audio installs. My GF also works at a dealership, and they see brand new cars come in to be repaired. One such car had its warranty voided, and the owner had to spend $10k to have every wire on the car replaced because some moron installed the stereo, and cut/spliced into the wrong wires, frying the entire ECU/electrical system.

not to scare you, but...this is serious business. If you dont know what's wrong, quit throwing parts at it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back