New Use For The Stock Tweeter Enclosures

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This past weekend, I put in all Infinity Speakers and two 12" Subs in my 97. I got rid of the weak JBL speakers. During the install, I was trying to figure out how to install the tweeters in the door. Previously in my 93, I paid to have it done, and the installer used a metal bracket screwed down behind the tweeter speaker grille. So I decided to reuse the tweeter enclosures.

First I took out the factory tweeter. They are held in place by two small star screws.
IMG_0026.JPG

I used the wires inside the enclosure, and also used the wire connectors that connect to the stock enclosure as well.

IMG_0027.JPG

Here you see the Infinity Tweeter inside the enclosure.

I then put the enclosure back into it's spot and put the crossover right next to it.
IMG_0028.JPG

I did the same with the tweeter connections in the back. It fits perfectly.

When I did my setup, I actually used my factory ones. They are not bad at all really. Like you, I wired the crossover close by and presto - dynamic cabin sound.

When I did my setup, I actually used my factory ones. They are not bad at all really. Like you, I wired the crossover close by and presto - dynamic cabin sound.

I actually have the same setup but I put the crossover down by the pocket of the door (its where the trunk and gar release are on the drivers side). I had to take apart the door a little but the fit perfect in there. I made new holes for the tweeters, moved them in a little closer, and I used OEM tweeter hole for something else ;)

Did that little bracket come with the tweeter or was that custom made? Thats what Im planning on doing with mine, stock locations with upgraded stuff.

I am particular to Infinity Components. They have some (What I call) spider clips that fit right in to the housing of the tweeter box. I just applied a little epoxy and there you go.

I think the JBL amp's crossover is the biggest problem with the factory stereo. It sounds like the woofers cut off before the tweeters kick in, so there's a big hole in the midrange.

A friend of mine has a '93. When his JBL amp bit the dust, I helped him install an Alpine in its place. We simply used 99mfd capacitors as high-pass filters on the tweeters. Making it work with the factory head unit was a tremendous pain in the ass; it took 2 full days to get everything installed and working properly.

But I was so amazed by the improvement in sound quality that I ripped out my perfectly good JBL amp the next week. It "only" took 7 hours the second time. :) The head unit and speakers are surprisingly good, it's the amp that royally sucks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back