New Tower hits 4.2Mhz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONEBADMK8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Man this overclocking is FUN!! I hit 4.2 today and it has been stable and cool for hours now. Check it out.

clock-screenshot-6.jpg

LOL Im just going by what the AI Tweaker says, and it says Mhz! LOL!

I figured that's where the confusion came into play! But I thought it was funny when I read the title of the thread! Sorry, I just couldn't resist and if I didn't harass you about it, someone else would have!

That's a nice OC. Wish this old E6600 Conroe of mine will budge past 3.6GHz :(
What spec rig? Prime95 stable? Nehalem, Wolfdale or Yorkfield?

That's a nice OC. Wish this old E6600 Conroe of mine will budge past 3.6GHz :(
What spec rig? Prime95 stable? Nehalem, Wolfdale or Yorkfield?

Prime with 6 threads for an hour plus on blend test was stable, 8 threads with this clock froze up about 1 min in. This is a rough clock I still have many small tweaks to go.

Heres ALL the specs on the build.

Let me know if you ever get to mess with some AVCHD files.

My computer can't handle the 1920x1080 AVCHD 16M files.
When rendering 16mb/s m2ts files, computer stutters.

So the kids are going to get the quad computer while I get something that handles these files.

If any computer gurus can steer me in the right direction, I'd appreciate.

I got a guy that wants to sell me the company demo unit, a Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM CMOS, that does 35mb/s full hd so I'm a little leery what it might take to use those files.

Geno, I really love to see if you could benchmark that setup and see how it renders.

@Mark
LOTS of rendering can be done with the GPU. That is why it is important (dare I say more important) to get a decent graphics card along with your new CPU and overall build. Workstation cards are expensive! But they perform. Gaming cards render massive amounts of data in search of greater fps but they lack the dedicated support workstation cards have. If you will NOT be gaming and only using your build for 3D rendering, video creation / editing, and the like then a workstation card is a must for you.
Right now you can't go wrong with a setup like Geno's. Although one could have built one for $1500 instead of the $3k he dropped on his, but not without a few sacrafices.
Solid state drives are still VERY expensive. A couple raptors in a solid RAID array offer very nice performance, but RAID will always complicate things somewhat. There will always be a bottleneck somewhere. It is up to you to either match your componants as much as possible as far as maximum potential or expect to upgrade in the future. Right now you cannot expect a top of the line system for under that $1500 mark ($300 for MB, $200 RAM, $300 CPU, $200 power, $200 GPU, $300 for a RAID array or a nice solid state hard disc.... that's $1500 right there without any accessories or a case) You can see how this stuff gets pretty expensive.... Just depends on what you want and what you are willing to spend. A budget of $2k can get you a long way.... $5k will get you just about any computer you want..... or a nice used Mark8 or LS
A decent Core 2 Duo system can be had for $600 (all accessories included sans a monitor).... but it won't touch your AVCHD files.

To Geno: Nice to see your i7 hit that mark. Good progress has been made! Don't get too crazy with it.... you do want it to last.

Thanks man. I will not melt it. I am happy if I can get 1ghz over stock stable. Man I can really see this clock shine when playing COD4, that combined with the 4870 2gb GPU it's amazing.

I use my machine for ANYTHING! Solid works is fluid as can be, anything I throw at the new PS CS4 64 bit is just gobbled up, no hiccups, flickers, nothing.

I constantly show people when they come over how bada$$ this machine is. I have PS open with a couple of 1. gb images, burn a DVD, have another dvd movie in the other optical drive playing, have the Win TV on, 11 windows open, making a movie with windows movie maker, then fire off 100 plus windows!!

Nothing happens but what should happen and it happens instantly. I am finally at a PC point in my life I thought I would never see, ITS ALL INSTANT!!! FINALLY!! LOLOL!!

I did it all under 3k and for what I got it was a bargain. You can go with the stuff I did and step the chip down to the 920, they take 3.6 all day but have a shorter life. I got the 965 becuse of its flexibilty, the PSU I got HUGE because of future expansion and what not, you could build a very similar WICKED system foe that $1500.00 for sure. Hell it's already cheaper, my ram alone was $245.00 and is now $180.00.

god damn, that system is intense

I got a killer deal from intel being a retail employee.

q9300 -> overclocked to...2.99 ghz before lagging using the built in overclocker. I can get higher through the bios but not needed.

Got 2 copies of vista ultimate, used 32bit though.

A DP45SG board that I sold, and farcry 2...all for 249

I tossed in 4 gigs of ram, and am waiting for my nvidia 9800gt to get back from rma, all in all it ran me about 800 for it all.

Man I can really see this clock shine when playing COD4, that combined with the 4870 2gb GPU it's amazing.

Ah nice, how do you like COD4? I wish you could come on Xbox 360 so I could smack you around a bit. :D

Yeah pc ftw.

I'm really enjoying these games on vista, they run awesome.

cod4, farcry2, fallout3, all amazing looking

I haven't patched cod4 yet, so I haven't played multiplayer on the new pc.
My name was eminent|TheRev, or eminent|TheRev813. To be honest my clan kinda fizzled out so I stopped playing multiplayer, right now I'm going through the singeplayer again. I played in eminent's dedicated server mostly, as I like Hardcore.

Oh man play ANY server they are all great. I play the team deathmatches and the free for all's!!

What patch? I didnt need a patch?

Members online

Back