New to the board.

fosjosh3

New LVC Member
Reaction score
New to the board and wanted to introduce myself and my situation. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396822304.408718.jpg this is my mother in laws 2006 Lincoln Ls. She wrecked it and the airbags deployed, ripped the dash, and what you see on front end. How difficult is it to replace the dash and airbags on these?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396822304.408718.jpg

There's a reason that insurance companies automatically total a car (unless it is brand new) when the airbags go off.

The difficulty will be in getting the correct parts. Also be warned that the aluminum parts can't be bent back into shape, they must be replaced.

Well she is willing to give me the car I'm trying to figure out what to do if I do take it. Would it be major safety issue to just cut the airbags out?

Well she is willing to give me the car I'm trying to figure out what to do if I do take it. Would it be major safety issue to just cut the airbags out?

In my opinion, yes. Others may differ. Please note that whichever seat belts were in use at the time must be replaced too. There were explosive charges that were detonated when the airbags were triggered (to pull the seat belts tight. Also, there is a one-time stretch section of each belt that was stretched.

You insurance coverage (even if it is just liability) will likely be invalidated if you ever have an accident and they discover disabled or removed safety features such as you are considering.

If you do decide to correctly repair it, the crash sensors, safety sensors, and even the restraints module will probably have to be replaced.

Would it be major safety issue to just cut the airbags out?

I'm not sure how you can ask that question, of course there is major safty concerns when one of your major life saving devices is no longer there...

driving a car around missing its airbags is both dangerous and stupid...

imagine that you care in a serious accident and needed them to go off. you could easily be killed in an accident that you should have had no problem walking away from.

or imagine that you are in a accident and seriously injured, well since you were driving a car around with "disabled safety equipment" your insurance company probably wont pay the bill and that alone could easily cause financial problems that could ruin you for life (and that only if you actually survive)

if your going to drive a car that has been seriously wrecked, make sure it is properly and completely repaired

my first LS had very similar looking damage but with out any airbags being deployed and it cost almost $4k to have it fixed, your probably looking at double to triple that. its probably cheaper to just buy a whole new car...

Could take the car and part it out. I'll take the grille hahaha if you have the patience / storage it would be some nice extra cash to save up for a new safer LS

Thanks for the insight guys. I need someone else tell me these things because I'm blinded by the desire to have the car.

"...New to the board and wanted to introduce myself and my situation...this is my mother in laws 2006 Lincoln Ls. She wrecked it..."

Sure...blame it on the mother-in-law :) JK...Welcome to the board, and best to you with the project :)

Lol she bought the car brand new and wrecked it about six months ago and it's just been sitting at the body shop she works at. We can get bumper and get it painted cheap. They are trying to figure out the cheapest fix without having to replace whole dash and all. I really want the car but want it to be safe and done at a cost that makes sense.

I would think it would be a lot easier to get the interior parts replaced vs. the front clip. I would call around for one that didn't have the airbags deploy and see how much going that route would cost you. Also look into buying another car with less damage if you can get bodywork done cheaply.

Members online

No members online now.
Back