new to me salvaged 2003 LS V8

AuthenticLS

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I was on Copart this morning and bid on a Lincoln LS and found out later it has the v8 and is fully loaded. Ill unload it tommorow and head to my local lkq for parts. Once rebuilt I like to do preventive maintenance. what would you guys recommend to look for? The car has 128k miles, starts up easy and has no CEL lights.

https://www.copart.com/lot/50017709?resultIndex=0&totalRecords=1&backTo=/lotsWon/&flag=1

Also ill be searching to see what results are of a double din android based radio with 9.0 I just installed an asian android based unit in my mercedes E class and love it!

You can probably count on replacing all the COPs, and all the plastic cooling system parts. I'd also bet on the rear toe-links. and all the sway bar end links.
Be warned that replacing the THX headunit is not simple. There are no plug-n-play harnesses for that. There's a four channel amp in the driver's side of the trunk for the door speakers, and a sub amp under the package shelf for the subs.
Of course, you'll need a factory HID headlight assembly for the driver's side.

So the stereo is wired alot like my w211 Mercedes. nice part was being able to buy a harness that made it plug n play that I havnt seen for these cars. I was impressed that they were using a touch screen back in 2003.

Do all the LS models have HID? There are two in a junk yard 10 minutes from my house so Im hoping they have what I need, Ill find out tomorrow when I get it off the trailer and really asses what I have going on.

This thread may help: THX navigation to aftermarket

No, most LSes do not have HID. Look for the yellow sticker on top of the headlight assembly. Otherwise, they look pretty much the same (but are missing the ballast, HID bulb, and HID reflector). Also note that only 2003 to 2006 had HID as an option, and the assemblies are very different between 2000-2002 (1st gen) and 2003-2006 (2nd gen).

You can probably count on replacing all the COPs, and all the plastic cooling system parts. I'd also bet on the rear toe-links. and all the sway bar end links.

I know you're going to the junkyard for the body parts, but it's not worth buying these above parts from a junkyard as they're likely just as bad (or worse) than your crash salvage. Many LSes have been junked over "bad head gaskets" when in reality it was the external plastic pipes/housings/bottles rotting

I know you're going to the junkyard for the body parts, but it's not worth buying these above parts from a junkyard as they're likely just as bad (or worse) than your crash salvage. Many LSes have been junked over "bad head gaskets" when in reality it was the external plastic pipes/housings/bottles rotting
your very right, why replace old worn out with old worn out. It is leaking coolant just a lil, and needs the usual wear items, ect. I think ill just sell if for what i can get out of it. It does run VERY well I was shocked! No check engine lights or anything. I really thought i was getting a ford v6 when i bid on it lol

You should do at Joe and Frank suggested and order new plastic cooling parts on line and replace all of them right away. If you just replace one or two, you will be chasing your tail and posting "I just replaced XXX cooling part, why is it still overheating?" Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, etc. etc.

Use this thread to get to all you ever wanted to know about fixing the Gen 2 cooling system:

Definitive GEN 2 Cooling System Thread

You should do at Joe and Frank suggested and order new plastic cooling parts on line and replace all of them right away. If you just replace one or two, you will be chasing your tail and posting "I just replaced XXX cooling part, why is it still overheating?" Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, etc. etc.

Use this thread to get to all you ever wanted to know about fixing the Gen 2 cooling system:

Definitive GEN 2 Cooling System Thread

Sorry to interrupt. I have read about the cooling issues since last year when I acquired my 2004 LS 6 Cyl.
Does the 6 Cyl. suffer the same cooing problems. I am at 32,000 miles.

Thanks!

PS my car had the standard 4 speaker radio and a Kenwood DMX906S went in perfectly. Looks stock with all features functional. (Professionally installed)

Sorry to interrupt. I have read about the cooling issues since last year when I acquired my 2004 LS 6 Cyl.
Does the 6 Cyl. suffer the same cooing problems. I am at 32,000 miles...

The V6 has a lot fewer plastic parts, but you will still have some to replace.

Members online

No members online now.
Back