New tires

I just got some sumitomos not to long ago, they're pretty nice. Htr a\s p03 i think they were.

What do you consider reasonable $'s and what specific tire size?

What do you consider reasonable $'s and what specific tire size?

Depends on what size rims you have/came with... on your LS.

IIRC... the 235/50ZR/17's on mine came out to around $800 total.

I'm on my 3rd set of Conti DWS. With proper inflation, rotation, and balancing... they can go 70k miles.

I always go by the advice from the old tire commercial: "Ones like the ones on my car." My 2001 Lincoln LS came off the assembly line with Firestone Firehawks, and after 20 years and 148,000 miles, it still has Firestone Firehawks.

My Sport came from the factory with Dunlops. Soft fast wearing tires.
That's kind of what you want on a sports car, the ones that last a long time are slippery and not very sticky to the road, not very good for sports cars, if you drive them like sports cars anyways, lol

Based on experience... I have to disagree. The Conti Extreme DWS hold the road very well... while providing excellent traction.

Typically... as softer tires wear... they get into the harder compound... making them less sticky.

I don't know what Conti is doing with the DWS... but they are doing it right.

I am currently running BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S plus Tires. I recently replaced my worn DWS's with them simply because they were the best pricing via Costco. Good tire w/ positive review at Tire Rack (good place to go for specs and reviews).

Yup... tire rack is a good place to get info (and reviews). Their revs per mile calculator is very helpful when considering going +1 or +2 sizes.

Based on experience... I have to disagree. The Conti Extreme DWS hold the road very well... while providing excellent traction.

Typically... as softer tires wear... they get into the harder compound... making them less sticky.

I don't know what Conti is doing with the DWS... but they are doing it right.
Well i know you just love to disagree with me, haha, but it's just a simple fact. However Im talking extreme situations, I'm not saying the Conti is bad or anything, never used them, but if you push the softer tires like Dunlop and harder ones like Conti to the max the Conti will lose grip first is all I'm saying. Most people certainly don't need soft tires, I'm just mentioning it in case people drive hard like me. My mpg average is 14, I can go about triple the posted limit around curves, could only go about double with the crap hard mismatched tires that came on originally. The hardest shittiest tire you can get probably good enough for most people, but I like better stuff is all. No worries buddy! I'll prolly actually try the Conti next time, cause I'll have had my fun on the soft ones by then, ha :D

You seem to forget the (now missing) post where I said I gave my son the ride of his life.
That was on the Conti DWS.

I would never have done that on Dunlops.

I can go about triple the posted limit around curves.

Yeah... I'd like to see you drive the road I drove at triple the speed around the curves.

If you tried taking 35mph rated curves at 105... you'd be off in the trees. If you took the 45 mph rated curve at 135... your family would be at your visitation.

I forgot my muck boots... and it's getting deep.

I know... I know... Anything I can do... you can do better... (rolleyes)

I could tell you the sky was blue and you would disagree with me, lol! Go ask race car drivers what kinda tires they use if you don't believe me, hard or soft. You might learn something.

but if you push the softer tires like Dunlop and harder ones like Conti to the max the Conti will lose grip first is all I'm saying.

That's debatable. If a soft tire is pushed too hard... it will peel the rubber and be like driving on marbles.

Ever watch a Nascar race. What's all those little black balls on the edge of the track???

I'm just curious, does anyone else following this thread think hard tires grip the road better than soft ones? LOL

I never said that... but soft tires WILL fail prematurely if pushed too hard.

The Dunlops that came on the LS... were only a 40k mile rated tire. A driver was lucky to get 35k out of them... if they drove normally.

I realize I don't know what I am talking about after owning 3 sets of the Extreme DWS tires... but they are very predictable. There is a reason I never went back to Dunlops... even though the Conti's are (or were) more expensive.

Put the Conti's under an LS with the Jag S-type suspension... and you can FEEL when the backend is going to kick out. (I'll give you a hint... it's all in the rear non-passive toe links ;-) )

Personally... I like a car with a bit of oversteer built into it. It's much better than having understeer. I'd rather graze the wall... than plow into it.

You said it was debatable, but now i see the wording in my first post that got you all excited. i simply meant to point out that soft ones stick better than hard ones, and i went on to explain that i meant under extreme conditions and even said the Conti would likely be my next set, so i don't know why you're arguing with me, except because you love to, ha! I did not mean to say that you would be slipping and sliding all over under normal driving conditions with your harder tires, only when pushed to the max that soft ones stick better was the point i meant to convey. Sorry for the confusion.

You're 100% correct about them not lasting as long, that's the trade off for the better grip ability. The Conti might very well be as good of a tire as you would ever need for this car, but i stand by the fact that the Conti will break loose before softer tires do if you're trying to break them loose.

Members online

No members online now.
Back