New Thrush Turbo Mufflers

01continental

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
YOU TUBE LINK BELOW - I am on disability so my choices are limited on mufflers because of costs. I normally split repairs into different times because of costs. I do have a maint. fund for "have to" repairs and I only use it for that. I have already removed the resonators and added a Magnaflow X pipe. I really expected the worse with the Thrush Turbos which cost me $29.95 ea. at Advance Auto, they are on sale now for $5 off per muffler under that price. Well, I am pleasantly surprised with the outcome. The car's sound reminds me of my '01 5.0 Mustang with Flowmasters. It's louder at lower speeds than at WOT. There is a noticeable HP increase and my wife even noticed. She will tell me in a second if she doesn't notice anything. She says it sounds sweet and she normally does NOT like loud exhausts, a bit. The gas peddle is even a little more "touchy". I did not expect this positive outcome. There is NO drone and I have gained 2 mpg over two tanks of gas, and that is with ALOT of WOTs. I am really excited because I can not afford more expensive mufflers. The total cost, incl. mufflers, was $120 installed, welded of course. This is NOT a psychosomatic outcome. I truly believe that this is the best dollar per dollar mod. and I don't mean to insult anyone. If the muffler burns through and gets louder over time I will just add Thrush glass packs as resonators and it will STILL be low dollar. I am sorry for being long winded but I thought I would report this.

Last edited:
A video clip would be cool to hear. Most of us are always up to hear something new.

I am not sure how to post a video. I will try to find the receipt for part numbers and no engine swap, just comparing to my old 5.0.

Can't find receipt. Advance Auto-Thrush Turbo 2 1/4" center/offset reversible (all aluminum, rolled, not welded). They were actually in stock.

did they mount in the same spot (hanger, cutouts, etc.) or did they have to "make " it fit?

I have a bad back (on disability) so I can't look too far under but it appears like they are on their side but are up further than the stock ones. There is no vibration and they are very secure/stiff. I used the factory tips, I like those the best.
I may just post it on Youtube and give the link there. I will have to wait until tomorrow because my wife is going out and I want a shot at WOT. I will get her to lay on the ground to show installation.

Are the thrush welded mufflers louder than the thrush turbo? I heard someone at the shop say that the turbo was a little quieter. Then the glass packs are a little obnoxiously loud right? Just about to do my V8 and I'm really on a budget! Looking at these Thrush options, and really just down to going turbo or regular.

On a budget, glasspacks are as cheap as it gets. They have a deep tone, and the longer they are the quieter they are. In fact, that applies to all mufflers. Turbo mufflers force the exhaust to change direction twice, and are quieter than the other choices. Welded mufflers, like Blowmasters, fall somewhere in the middle. Comparing by length, equal length of each will be in order of quiet to loud turbo, welded and glasspack. It is possible to have a quieter glasspack than turbo, and possible to have a louder turbo than glasspack, this is where length comes into it.

AH! That was the information I was looking for. So I am thinking of going with the medium Thrush welded pair of mufflers in a slightly shorter body than stock to loud-n it up a bit. From what I can tell the pips are 2" exactly OD on the stock. So do you go with 2 1/4 inlet so it slips over the stock pipe?

I normally go a bit oversize on the muffler so as to not restrict the exhaust. Any muffler will restrict flow, that's its job, but if you oversize it a bit it minimizes this. Ideally you would go 2.25 on the inlet an 2.0 on the outlet, then ask the muffler shop to expand the pipe over the muffler outlet.

I have the stock muffler on mine and have no intention to change it. I am not a fan of the LS, and plan to ditch it sometime later this year. When I get rid of it, it will be exactly like it is right now.

Members online

Back