new steering rack/ steering still funny

blk90

LVC Member
Reaction score
i put a new rack on bc the inner rods had some play. the car was also steering funny, like it wandered even after numerous alignments. so i figured the rack was worn. i replaced it and the car still steers funny. the odd thing is that it seems intermittent. sometimes the steering feels nice and tight other times it feels like air in the ps fluid. can a pump be causing this? all tie rods and bushings are either tight or new. and the fact that it doesn't do it all the time makes me think it could be pump related. any ideas? its like wind pushing the car or air in the rack. and yes i bled the rack, and do every once and a while, it seems to not do the wandering as bad when i cycle the wheel lock to lock.

i put a new rack on bc the inner rods had some play. the car was also steering funny, like it wandered even after numerous alignments. so i figured the rack was worn. i replaced it and the car still steers funny. the odd thing is that it seems intermittent. sometimes the steering feels nice and tight other times it feels like air in the ps fluid. can a pump be causing this? all tie rods and bushings are either tight or new. and the fact that it doesn't do it all the time makes me think it could be pump related. any ideas? its like wind pushing the car or air in the rack. and yes i bled the rack, and do every once and a while, it seems to not do the wandering as bad when i cycle the wheel lock to lock.

blk90,
My 90 red LSC SE was steering fine but leeking. Over the weekend I'll talk to the guy replacing my rack. If he has any advice I'll let all know. Kinda surprised that gurus One Way and Old School have not chimed in yet.

turning the wheel from lock to lock wouldn't bleed the system?

It will...kinda. There are several different methods of doing a "thorough" bleed of the system. Try searching "Ford power steering bleed" and see if you find any useful methods.

Check everything.

blk90,
My 90 red LSC SE was steering fine but leeking. Over the weekend I'll talk to the guy replacing my rack. If he has any advice I'll let all know. Kinda surprised that gurus One Way and Old School have not chimed in yet.

I'm not as young as I used to be ... it's a long walk from my place to Joey's :)

There's at least two different power steering racks for our cars. You first have to make sure that you have the correct rack for the correct pump and vise versa.

Rebuilt racks have been know to be bad.

Is there ever a "clunk" involved when turning? If so, then a tie rod end could be stripped and jumping a thread.

The very first, and least expensive, fix would be the anti-sway bar busings and end links.

Once you are absolutely sure that everything "down low" is correct, then check the linkages throughout the rest of the steering column INCLUDING the four nuts that hold the column in place under the dashboard.

As for OneWay, he lives even farther away than me :)

BLK,
My guy that changed my rack says that turning lock to lock like others have mentioned should do it.
Just another thought, have you checked the rag joint? If it were going bad it would steer OK sometimes and not others.

strangely enough changing my rear sway bar bushings solved my "rough highway" wandering issues. changeing is sorta misleading as they were dry rotted and pretty well gone.

the rack in my smashed 92 leaked and was getting ready to get replaced. ah well...

Members online

No members online now.
Back