New rebuild & still broke

Terrance

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I was told it's time to replace the transmission, the bands were slipping and it kept down shifting between 80-100 kph for no reason. So I get this new rebuilt transmission, supposedly includes shift kit & j-mod although the mechanic told me he did pretty much the equivilent of a j-mod on the original tranny when I showed him pictures of the j-mod. Anyway, I get the car back after being relieved of $2000.00 and 2 days later it starts downshifting at 80-100 kph again and the bands are slipping. So the mechanic says he might have to pull the whole thing out again, but he is not entirely convinced it is the transmission, so he ordered a speed sensor (still on back order) to see if that will alleviate the problem. When it comes in (seems to be hard to get) he will do a quick install and I will drive a few days to see how it runs. I hate being without the car as I am relegated to public transit for my daily commute and that is 90 minutes each way vs 28 minutes by car, not to mention an extra $3.00 per day on transit, over & above the cost of gas for the car. Has anyone else had this downshifting problem with their transmission and does a speed sensor replacement sound like a fix? I sure hope it is that simple because pulling the tranny is another few days witout the car. Any thoughts?

Terrance said:
Well, I was told it's time to replace the transmission, the bands were slipping and it kept down shifting between 80-100 kph for no reason. So I get this new rebuilt transmission, supposedly includes shift kit & j-mod although the mechanic told me he did pretty much the equivilent of a j-mod on the original tranny when I showed him pictures of the j-mod. Anyway, I get the car back after being relieved of $2000.00 and 2 days later it starts downshifting at 80-100 kph again and the bands are slipping. So the mechanic says he might have to pull the whole thing out again, but he is not entirely convinced it is the transmission, so he ordered a speed sensor (still on back order) to see if that will alleviate the problem. When it comes in (seems to be hard to get) he will do a quick install and I will drive a few days to see how it runs. I hate being without the car as I am relegated to public transit for my daily commute and that is 90 minutes each way vs 28 minutes by car, not to mention an extra $3.00 per day on transit, over & above the cost of gas for the car. Has anyone else had this downshifting problem with their transmission and does a speed sensor replacement sound like a fix? I sure hope it is that simple because pulling the tranny is another few days witout the car. Any thoughts?

never take your car to a regular mechanic for major components (transmission, or engine internals)

Hey buddy I do not have an answer but if I did I would tell you straight away.
Why can't you guys ever just answer a question with a straight answer. Terrance needs help not rhetoric.

yeah,it sounds more like an electrical item like the speed sensor or mlps switch (nuetral switch)

i am worried to think you maybe didnt need to spend 2000$ on a rebuild,and that the mechanic poorly diagnosed your trans at your expense.

Members online

No members online now.
Back