New Problem with trans

cmack

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Changed solenoid block, filled trans til fluid streaming out while idling after running thru gears. Now no lights or warnings. Under normal acceleration all is good. When accelerating hard, it takes awhile to shift from 2nd to 3rd. When on the highway around 65 I noticed if I start coasting my rpms will drop to about 1200 then kick up to 2000-2300, then if i hit the gas they will shoot up to around 3k. I'm guessing that the trans is not downshifting therefore causing the rpms to drop? Any ideas, is this something a pcm flash might fix. Because other than those 2 things everything else is fine, no jerking, thumping or harsh shifts. 02 V8.

no experience with the gen1 tranny; but if i were you (and confident that i had correct fluid/proper workmanship on parts install/properly functioning parts) i would simply disconnect battery, follow battery reconnect procedure and do a drive cycle. did you clear your shift parameters & keep-alive-memory then do a proper re-learn procedure or did you just have the new parts and fluid put in and 'wing it'?

Actually I did unhook the battery but I'm not familiar with clearing the shift parameters. Guess I need to look into that.

battery disconnect will do the trick; your owners manual will prolly tell you the procedure to follow after a battery disconnect. follow the drive cycle procedure to break the tranny in with new parameters. you could prolly go thru my posts and find a thread where someone posted the drive cycle procedure. i didnt post it but someone else did.

tranny will be very adaptive to how you drive it the first few times after a battery disconnect. if you dont like the way it feels, just disconnect the battery and try again. try driving it super soft and super hard to see how mild or wild it can be. mine was adapted to about 3 different styles which i would describe as soft, hard, and slightly less than hard. soft is how i drive with a woman or customer in the car, hard is pretty much WOT or close to it, slightly less than hard is how i normally drive

if you cant ever workout the kinks in the shift patterns/feel there is a mechanical problem. ive never had one so i dont know, but i have read about a spring breaking in there which might be the cause of the symptom you described. someone else could probably elaborate on symptoms related to that if need be

In the owners manual read page 211 and on for the after new battery care.

Links are in the Tech Articles under LS.

that banana is cracking me the fck up for some reason..

Members online

No members online now.
Back