New Plugs and Coils Now Car Won't Start

Ben's LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I replaced the coils and plugs on the LS and now the car won't start. Even took it all apart and put the old ones back in to see if maybe something was wrong with the new ones. Still won't start. The car won't even turn over. Any thoughts? I'm starting to run out of motivation with this car.

so a no crank issue(wont turn over) has nothing to do with the coils or plugs...

lets start simple, whats the PATS light doing?

are you sure that the battery is charged fully? I only ask this because a lot of people have PM'ed me over the years about cars not starting after they worked on the car, and they killed their battery by having the doors opened for so long (and they usually close and reopen a door to re wake the computers up...

did you disconnect the battery for this job and maybe not reconnect it, or tighten it up enough? (not trying to say youre an idiot, but the super simple stuff is sometimes the easiest to miss...)

First things first, what exactly do you mean by won't turn over.

I disconnected the battery when I did the change and it has been reconnected and tight. The battery is only a couple months old. After the change I tried to start the car and it started and died right away. It did that twice, but now doesn't start at all. I can hear the starter turning, but nothing else happens.

Can we all get some agreement here that "The car won't even turn over." should mean that the starter doesn't turn the crankshaft. The starter doesn't run at all. Instead of the starter turns, but the engine doesn't fire up?

Have you tried clear flood mode? (Hold the gas pedal all the way down while cranking.)

Can we all get some agreement here that "The car won't even turn over." should mean that the starter doesn't turn the crankshaft. The starter doesn't run at all. Instead of the starter turns, but the engine doesn't fire up?

I think most people are in agreement of that, but there will always be those few outliers that will use incorrect terms or just don't know what each term actually means... *cough cough coil packs and struts cough*

I'm just going to give advice based on what people say... if they describe the situation wrong, then its their fault that they cant get the help they need... too many people get but hurt when you correct them or will continue to use those wrong terms after you give them the right info...

I can hear the starter turning, but nothing else happens.

please describe this as the engine is turning over (or cranking) but not firing up (or starting)

totally different conditions with totally different solutions

Is the fuel pump kicking on? Listen under the back seat for it on the passenger side.

If it the engine is turning when starting then you are either missing spark, fuel or air. If engine (crank) is not turning when you try to start then the starter solenoid is likely the issue. Is the start engaging the flywheel?

My guess is something got loose, I doubt that all 8 of your coils and plugs are the issue, granted the harness to them could be. Or it's pump related, possibly bad fuse or relay for the pump.

I apologize for the confusion and my lack of correct terminology. So, basically when I turn the key I can hear the starter, but that's it. Nothing else happens. The car doesn't start or make a sound other than what I believe to be the starter. I tried clear flood mode and it didn't do anything.

Haven't had time to even really worry about this car due to work at the moment.

Check the COP fuse. Maybe you pinched some of the ignition wiring?

When you say you hear the starter, do you mean that the starter is turning the engine or that the starter is free-running. If the starter is spinning at high speed but not turning the engine you have a different set of problems than if you have other circumstances.

KS

^ an easy way to tell if it is just the starter spinning and not actually turning the crank would be to have somebody watch under the hood while trying to start, if the belt on the front is moving, then the starter is doing its job...

The first step of troubleshooting is to ask, what has changed? The car was running before the COP/plug change, correct? The problem is going to be in the work area. Most likely something wasn't plugged back in. Second most likely, something is shorted or a fuse is blown. Third most likely, something else was damaged in the work area. It's just a matter of doing the job over again, paying close attention to what's being messed with. I doubt it's bad parts unless the OP was lucky enough to land 6/8 bad coils.

Sorry for being MIA for so long. Been swamped with work and the LS has just been taking up garage space. Anyways, I am going to try and get to fixing it now. So as I stated, I replaced the coils and plugs and now the car won't start. I turn the key and absolutely nothing is happening. No noise no nothing. Gonna check fuses and make sure everything is connected. Plugs are properly gapped and the battery is connected. If all else fails I will take it apart and put it all back together just to double check. Will keep you all posted.

I would check the battery first, make sure that it isnt dead

Members online

Back