New paint question...

Awesund

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The whole car came out great! But I'm concerned with some minor orange peel.
Here's a pic of my trunk lid, which is the worst. My '03 Caddy is about the same, but I wanted no orange peel :(

The guy who did the work has been in the biz for 35 years. I saw a Black vet he was sanding on that, weeks later, looked like glass. Beautiful!

He said that I need to bring it back to him in 3 weeks for a final buff-polish and that will delete the slight orange peel. Is that correct? I thought there was a final wet sanding proccess, but he says no.

Will a final buff really do the trick? :confused:
Never mind the missing key cover...it's being painted.

RearOrange1.jpg

From what I've heard, I would think you'd need to wet sand the car, but I'm not a paint guru. I believe that rust holes mean less weight :D

Looks nice. Good luck with it.

Thanks NYC!.
That's exactly what I've been told. Less the rust holes. Glad I don't have any of those.

Hell, I'm not gonna wet sand it... they are. That's their biz.

Any paint experts, please let me know, but I think he's correct.

Josh? Any experience you have with paint? ...

It all depends on how much clearcoat he put on... You can only wet-sand so far before you go through the clearcoat, and at that point you have to repaint the panel in question. Buffing it WILL make a difference, lookin good Awesund!!!

Listen to the paint guy, that's what you are paying him for. The paint has to cure, and this can take several weeks. After that is a good time to finish it up, which sounds to be his plan. And if it's not satisfactory after that, make him do it right; you're the source of his paycheck! ;)

For show quality paint wet sanding is the only way to go. Buffing will make a big difference either way.

As mentioned the thickness of the top coat will dictate if there can be any wet sanding.

Oh and price is a big factor - if wet sanding was not part of the deal (most cases it is not) then go for it, if they burn through then it is their fault. Most shops just shoot and scoot- no polish or wetsand.

Those with a baking booth can wetsand and/or polish as soon as the paint cools down, they dont want to have you bring back a car, interrupting paying jobs for a car they already have the money on.

Thanks y'all!

Well, I guess I'll find out after a few weeks.

I'm sure many people would be very happy the way it is. But I've way too much in this car to settle for paint.
;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back