New Owner of Mark VII

alm450

LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I've been reading about lincolns for some time and decided to jump in and get one because I couldn't find a better car for the price.
I picked it up yesterday, a nice grey 1991 Mark VII with 210,000 km's for only $1800 Canadian dollars certified!
It's in real decent shape, with some surface rust on the rocker panels, but I think that can be easily repaired.
All factory options still work except A/C . It even has the factory foglight covers still on the lights.
Interior is mint with only one small crack in the dash cover, but hardly noticeable.
And it still goes like hell, chirps the tires when shifts to second gear! What a nice sound that is!
I need a new lock actuator for the driver door, probably get one off e-bay, saw them there for like 12 dollars.
And one other minor quirk, although the window motor for the driver side is very strong, if you put it all the way down, it won't come back up with out tapping the bottom.
I think it's moving past the limit it's supposed to and then you have to hit it to get it back on the "track"
Is there a limiter at the bottom of the door, has anyone else had this problem?
By the way, great forum here!
Thanks,
alm

hi ,,,bought my 91 mk vii last dec & had to replace both window motors ,,,it may be that one or more of the rivits are loose and letting the window fall ,,, all you would have to do is drill them out and replace them ( they are the BIG rivits and you may have to borrow the rivits and gun) good luck,,,,,regards kahunasteve

welcome on board, be careful, these cars are an addiction ... :W

I got mine in april this year and can't stop tinkering with it, already want a 2nd one ... most of the mustang staff will work if you have the "need for speed" ... :L

:W

Glad you're enjoying your Mark VII.

As for your window thing. I think it's just that the motor is probably corroded inside and has trouble with the down-side bind.
Most likely, it's getting wet. The outer window scraper is supposed to keep the rain out so it doesn't drench all of the components inside the door. 98% of all Marks now have cracked and brittle scrapers that let water inside the door.
You might want to fix it before you put in a new door lock motor cause it'll just get wet again.
I don't really inderstand what they used for Window scraper rubber, but I've seen a ton of older fords and mercurys at the junkyard that still have nice rubber. ... Mark VII conspiracy err something. :give

Awesund said:
:W

Glad you're enjoying your Mark VII.

As for your window thing. I think it's just that the motor is probably corroded inside and has trouble with the down-side bind.
Most likely, it's getting wet. The outer window scraper is supposed to keep the rain out so it doesn't drench all of the components inside the door. 98% of all Marks now have cracked and brittle scrapers that let water inside the door.
You might want to fix it before you put in a new door lock motor cause it'll just get wet again.
I don't really inderstand what they used for Window scraper rubber, but I've seen a ton of older fords and mercurys at the junkyard that still have nice rubber. ... Mark VII conspiracy err something. :give

I'd love to find some new ones....so far, no luck. As you noted, both of mine are brittle and cracked.

I had both door lock actuators replaced a year ago. Parts are still available and I noticed what a bitch it would have been to try to do it myself, so friendly Dan's Auto Repair did it for about $200, parts and everything. I was happy to pay it.

power window

:L
alm450 said:
Well I've been reading about lincolns for some time and decided to jump in and get one because I couldn't find a better car for the price.
I picked it up yesterday, a nice grey 1991 Mark VII with 210,000 km's for only $1800 Canadian dollars certified!
It's in real decent shape, with some surface rust on the rocker panels, but I think that can be easily repaired.
All factory options still work except A/C . It even has the factory foglight covers still on the lights.
Interior is mint with only one small crack in the dash cover, but hardly noticeable.
And it still goes like hell, chirps the tires when shifts to second gear! What a nice sound that is!
I need a new lock actuator for the driver door, probably get one off e-bay, saw them there for like 12 dollars.
And one other minor quirk, although the window motor for the driver side is very strong, if you put it all the way down, it won't come back up with out tapping the bottom.
I think it's moving past the limit it's supposed to and then you have to hit it to get it back on the "track"
Is there a limiter at the bottom of the door, has anyone else had this problem?
By the way, great forum here!
Thanks,
alm

ericlsc1 said:

Hey new lsc owner. I've owned my 84 lsc for 9 years now and I love
my car as much as the first day I got it. As for your power window
problem, the motors for these are CRAP! I can't tell you how many
times I've had to replace them. The drivers side is going again (sometimes
won't go up like yours) and the passenger side needs a gear set.
Yes you will have to get a very large rivet gun or try to replace with
other hardware. Not a fun job! Good luck and enjoy your lincoln.

Members online

No members online now.
Back