new owner, couple questions

rusty shackleford

New LVC Member
Reaction score
i recently bought a 2006 LS V8 with 17k miles for only 16k. i'm happy with the car so far.

i noticed the car is missing the splash/wind shield under the engine area. i wanted to get one since the shield is there to help increase fuel economy at highway speeds. can you guys check your vehicles to see if the shield covers up the oil filter also. i'm not going to add it if i have to remove the shield everytime i change the oil. unfortunately my local dealership doesn't have one in stock for me to look at.

also, when the engine is on (and the vacuum brake assist working), my brake pedal/linkage makes noises when i modulate the brake pedal. it is especially noticeable when the vehicle is stopped and i move the brake pedal up and down. its annoying, especially for a luxury car. basically, it sounds like the normal vacuum assist noises you'd hear on any car when you move the pedal really fast, but this is the sound i hear from slow and slight movement of the pedal in my car.

the $tealership says the brake noise is normal. i know they just don't want to fix it. i'm used to hearing slight noise from the brakes, but this seems excessive. do your cars make a lot of noise? i've never had a vehicle's pedal make this much noise and i find it odd that my girlfriend's $15k honda is quiet yet engineers of my +$40k lincoln couldn't quiet it. therefore i don't think the sound is normal. perhaps there is a tsb about it?

1. The cover does not hamper access to the oil filter.
2. The brake pedals on both of my LS's (04 & 06) seem quiet enough to me. There is a piece of filter like material to muffle the air sounds. Maybe yours is missing?
3. Turn the climate controlled front seats on, and you won't hear the brake anymore anyway.

:W

My 06 brake pedal was slightly noisy, not very noticeable. But when it got very hot it would make a pretty loud "crunchy" sound. Dealer replaced master cylinder and brake booster under warranty. No problems or noise now. You may not have the same issue, but there's another data point for ya.

:W

My 06 brake pedal was slightly noisy, not very noticeable. But when it got very hot it would make a pretty loud "crunchy" sound. Dealer replaced master cylinder and brake booster under warranty. No problems or noise now. You may not have the same issue, but there's another data point for ya.

hmmm considering we've been having 100+ heat all summer you may be on to something. i'll have to see if it makes the noise in the morning before the engine heats up and when the air has cooled all the way down to 80 degrees...

1. The cover does not hamper access to the oil filter.
2. The brake pedals on both of my LS's (04 & 06) seem quiet enough to me. There is a piece of filter like material to muffle the air sounds. Maybe yours is missing?
3. Turn the climate controlled front seats on, and you won't hear the brake anymore anyway.

thanks. guess i'll go ahead and order the shield and look for that filter material.

Members online

Back