new noise on my rear end !!! daaaamn it !!

MysticMac

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
finally went on to tackle my water leak in my trunk today.. took the car for a rip and now i have this loud noise.. my mechanic says it could be from a bad axle bearing or pinion he wont know until he looks at it closer on friday... any help in the right direction would be appreciated .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCb7ueXBGcY

thanks

2005 LS v6

Just a thing I say every time something needs fixing on my LS'es

"Good thing I had my orange juice this morning"

lol... well i hope someone is able to point me in the right direction... my wheel bearings are also shot but now this noise... im assuming its a bearing in my rear end or somethig

Doesn't sound like bearing noise to me. Sounds like an oscillation like a rotating mass is being spun off-center. Does the car vibrate really bad now?

Long story short, I'd check the center support bearing on the driveshaft. Bad wheel bearings tend to make squealing/screaching noises. Something in the diff would sound like gear noise or a turbine. If your diff or rear wheel bearings made that noise the car wouldn't be driving in my opinion.

i know one of my bearings is bad thats for sure.. but this noise just started happening... are you saying because im able to drive it its probbaly my shaft bearing rather than the inners of the pumpkin?

i know one of my bearings is bad thats for sure.. but this noise just started happening... are you saying because im able to drive it its probbaly my shaft bearing rather than the inners of the pumpkin?

By the time a diff starts making clunking/thumping noises something has exploded inside it and it won't be moving much longer. Much more likely a failing diff would make a whining or grinding noise but still be driveable.

Wheel bearings fail and you get the squealing or grinding noises. If a wheel bearing fails to the point that something starts clunking when you drive then that means the whole wheel is moving around and would be chewing up the rear breaks, hitting suspention components, tires sitting at an extreme angle, etc.

I would suspect the center support bearing. It's a bearing mounted in a rubber encasement. The rubber breaks down and allows the driveshaft to spin off center resulting in vibration and, when the rubber breaks enough, clunking/thumping noises.

Only other thing I can remotely think of would be one of the CV shafts going bad. Those can cause clunking noises. Don't hear about them failing much on the LS though, specially in comparison to the Center Support Bearing.

I was trying to detect if it had a direct relation to speed. That would be driveshaft probably.Kumba said carrier bearing on driveshaft and I'd agree......or pinion bearing shot or rubber bushing loose at rear driveshaft.
If you KNOW you have a bad rear bearing,you better get on that in a hurry. don-ohio :)^)

Might be my bad hearing but it sounds to me like it was RPM-dependent and not speed dependent. If this is the case, could be a flexplate if an auto, or a cracked exhaust manifold. Could be wrong (sounds are not my strong point) but it didn't come across to me as a rear end issue.

With that noise there is no vibration that comes with it?

Yes is vibration when accelerating .. if i sllllllowly hit the gas it barely makes the noise so im assuming its something with the drive shaft or something because my ford ranger had a similiar noise when the drive shaft went bad. the reason it is super loud in the video is because i have removed the entire trunk carpet liner and my back seats were folded down so i could pin point the noise location.

I'm still going with center support bearing. Problem is it's up under the heat shield and you have to kind of drop the exhaust to get at it. The rest of the drive shaft you can see without an issue.

Chock the front wheels really good, put the car up high on some jack stands, start the car, have someone get it up to about 20mph when you can clearly hear the thump/vibration, then carefully slide under the car to see what looks out of place. Might also need a mechanics stethoscope to track it down if it's not obvious.

Yes is vibration when accelerating .. if i sllllllowly hit the gas it barely makes the noise so im assuming its something with the drive shaft or something because my ford ranger had a similiar noise when the drive shaft went bad. the reason it is super loud in the video is because i have removed the entire trunk carpet liner and my back seats were folded down so i could pin point the noise location.

Thats what my center bearing did when bad. I have a manual transmission any hard acceleration in first caused a thumping sound from behind the driver.

My brother's car had a thumping on takeoff like that and it was a bad trans mount. That's easy enough to check without running the car on jack stands, put the car in the air then put the jack under the back of the trans. When you jack the back of the trans in the air, if it lifts off the trans mount it's bad.

Members online

No members online now.
Back