New mod-Gen 2 Fogs with painted surround

Alax7

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Thanks to mtggtmmtg for the idea and the help for this mod. I only finished one fog light so far. Just thought I'd post up some pics of the turn out. I couldn't find the exact color mtggtmmtg used. His fog came out looking awesome. Mine is ok. I will go back tom after work and check out another color and try matching it up better and if not then will probably have to order that color online. It took me about an hour to take the lens off. It had the black sealant but I got it. Broke off some pieces here and there but once it sealed again and in the bumper you can't tell. I'll know how to do it better on the second fog.

Fogmod3.jpg

Fogmod2.jpg

fogmod1.jpg

Fogmod4.jpg

This one is the one mtggtmmtg did. His looks really nice and clear. His fog is new though, I think.It could be the camera that makes it look different or it actually is different. I do have a 7 year old digital camera. But I still say his looks better. It looks real good, but I'll get there to fix mine

LS20031.jpg

nice mod...as for me I'm just gonna go with the old smoked fogs/headlights...seems easier to hide my angel eyes once I get another pair of headlights to begin installation of them :p

This one is the one mtggtmmtg. His looks really nice and clear. His fog is new though, I think.It could be the camera that makes it look different or it actually is different. I do have a 7 year old digital camera. But I still say his looks better. It looks real good, but I'll get there to fix mine

LS20031.jpg

I doubt it's the camera, mine is over 10 years old(sony handycam). I've always been next to last to jump on the latest/greatest technological bandwagon. My fog lamp being new has a crystal clear lens, I can see both your fogs are a bit cloudy, try some clear plastic lens polish & maybe a brighter silver paint. I wish I knew someone in my area w/an 03-05 LS to try it out on but unfortunately I'm lucky if I even see 1 LS a year around here.

I doubt it's the camera, mine is over 10 years old(sony handycam). I've always been next to last to jump on the latest/greatest technological bandwagon. My fog lamp being new has a crystal clear lens, I can see both your fogs are a bit cloudy, try some clear plastic lens polish & maybe a brighter silver paint. I wish I knew someone in my area w/an 03-05 LS to try it out on but unfortunately I'm lucky if I even see 1 LS a year around here.

Yeah my lense is cloudy. I tried using some lens cleaer/ restorer shine, whatever its called. But it didn't clean it up that well. Maybe I'm using it wrong. I will go look for brighter paint thought. Its seems a little on the dull side.

Look very nice Alax you should show a picture of fogs on the car

Once I get it done I'll snap some pics with it on the car. Should I just paint over it with the new brighter silver or sand it up a bit or take the paint off and use the new paint on it?

how did you take it apart? ive been wanting to do something with my fogs but havent figured out how to get them apart. i have an 01 so i hope its the same

Wet sand your fog lens. It will get rid of any pitting or rock chips and clear up the cloudiness.

I tried. This will get rid of the cloudiness? I used 1000, 1500, 2000. I read a thread saying not to use anything below 1000. It got rid of most of the little rock damage. Just needs a little more.

how did you take it apart? ive been wanting to do something with my fogs but havent figured out how to get them apart. I have an 01 so i hope its the same

I used a heat gun to try and loosen up the sealant they used. I had the black one so it was a pain but I got it. Be real careful. I broke of part of the bottom of the black case cause I was tired after an hour. I just started wedging my way around with a small flat head and worked my way around with bigger ones until it was loose enough to get behind the lens and then I stuck two screw drivers abck there and kept working at it. I did this cause I like the nicer look of the gen 1 fogs. You have them but whatever your reasons are, go for it.

I picked up another spray can from home depot. I didn't find satin nickle like mtggtmmtg used but it looked darker then the color I used so I went with a titanium silver. Going to go work at it for a bit now

Finished both fogs now.The second one was also a B#$CH to take apart.Broke less off it but you can't see it. I re-painted the first one again. Different paint. I feel "smart". I used the finished metallic paint only the first time, instead of a base with the metallic finish. It looks a lot better now. I'll take some pics during the day to get better pics of them and with them on the car. I also wet sanded the lenses and used some lense restoration on it.Turns out I was using it wrong, so simple yet I still jacked it up, but not anymore! Looks almost like new. Check out those clean lenses, oh yeah. :cool:

Fogs1-1.jpg

Fog2.jpg

Fog3.jpg

Fog4.jpg

Thanks.Should I color match them? How would that look?

I was just wondering how color matched would look. Probably would look good, and since I have a silver Gen 2, you can send those finished ones to me and I'll try them out :D ??? lol

Did you polish the lights after the wet sand? It may just be the camera but they still look kind of murky. If you'd like I can post some walkthroughs of the entire process.

Thanks.Should I color match them? How would that look?

I think color matching would look better. I am going to throw out an idea out there. If you want, you could color match your grill too, just the plastic part and leave the chrome surround(just to tie it all together).

Did you polish the lights after the wet sand? It may just be the camera but they still look kind of murky. If you'd like I can post some walkthroughs of the entire process.

That would be helpful.Thanks.

I Wet sanded with 1000, 1500, and 2000. Then I used meguiars plastic x on it. I have two. I bought meguiars but I went back cause it didn't seem to work.....I used it wrong, I dont know how I messed that one up, so I bought the one the guy there said was good. It was called blue magic. I smacked myself in the head and used it right and did half and half of the fog to see which one worked better and meguiars did so I finished them both off with that.

I think color matching would look better. I am going to throw out an idea out there. If you want, you could color match your grill too, just the plastic part and leave the chrome surround(just to tie it all together).

But then that would leave less to contrast with the car.That would be interesting to see in person though not just picture it. I dont have that grill on either way. I have the cdc mesh on right now with a black painted surround, that I will prob color match.

I was just wondering how color matched would look. Probably would look good, and since I have a silver Gen 2, you can send those finished ones to me and I'll try them out :D ??? lol

Yeah maybe I'll buy some extra fogs and try it out. I was actally thinking of putting these on a silver ls just to see how color matched would look. I dont want them to blend in too much either though. And I might take you up on the offer. ;)

oh color match the grill with the fogs? I thought you meant color match the center of the grill with the carvand just leave the chrome part.

Polished the lenses again with Meguiars plastic X. Looks better I think.A few pics of the painted fogs on the car. A little before and after action too.I just have to seal them up and put them back on. Well looks like I got my gen 1 looking fogs now :D . Thanks to mtggtmmtg for the idea and mtggtmmtg Jwerner2 for the help. ;)

077.jpg
\

005-4.jpg

BEFORE

067.jpg

AFTER

080.jpg

BEFORE

071-1.jpg

AFTER

081.jpg

084.jpg