New member - transmission?'s

bgjersey30

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just picked up a 2003 LS V8 from the auction. I noticed that the transmission shifts really hard into 2nd from 1st. It shifts so hard that the rear wheels spin. The rest of the gears seems fine... and it only has 96k miles. Any ideas of where this is coming from? Do you think this will be a costly repair?

Thanks for all the input.

It's most likely to be the solenoid valve assembly.

I think that would cost you about $700 for a dealer to do. You can probably do it yourself for around $400 (solenoid assembly, transmission fluid, gasket, filter).

I plan on taking it to a transmission center near me that is on AAA's website. Trying to avoid the dealership thinking that it would cost alot more. Is this normal for this vehicle with under 100k mies?

I plan on taking it to a transmission center near me that is on AAA's website. Trying to avoid the dealership thinking that it would cost alot more. Is this normal for this vehicle with under 100k mies?

It's a design issue. Ford tried to work around it at first with a transmission fluid additive. The solenoid assembly is now revised and shouldn't have problems anymore. Be aware that some people are having trouble with non-Ford replacement parts.

Also, stay away from any and all chain transmission shops.

ls transmission

Saw the thread on te transmission problems and seloniod answer. anybody got a picture of what that seloniod looks like when you take the pan off?

It's a design issue. Ford tried to work around it at first with a transmission fluid additive. The solenoid assembly is now revised and shouldn't have problems anymore. Be aware that some people are having trouble with non-Ford replacement parts.

Also, stay away from any and all chain transmission shops.

I believe the one Im going to is pretty reputable one... they should be pretty aware of this issue, right? So are you saying that the parts (solenoid) should be replaced or is it just a fluid additive? :confused:

I believe the one Im going to is pretty reputable one... they should be pretty aware of this issue, right? So are you saying that the parts (solenoid) should be replaced or is it just a fluid additive? :confused:

Parts only.

anybody got a picture of what that seloniod looks like when you take the pan off?

Yep:

387932_10150467941952762_528932761_8811994_895851746_n.jpg

The solenoid is the black in the upper left. Eight Torx bolts and a tight connector fitting is all that holds it in; two additional bolts if you have the pressure sensor on the V8.

There's a fill plug on either the tail housing (N) or on the passenger side of the case (S). Use a pump to pump fluid into it, with the car level.

It's a little delicate - you need the car running to get the level correct. If it runs very much without enough fluid, it can burn the frictions. If you fill it without the engine running, it'll just overflow.
So pump in a few quarts, start the engine for a second, pump in a few more, etc.

It's "full" when fluid dribbles - not streams, nor stops dripping - from the tap in the center of the drain plug while running in park at normal temp.

Quick update - i got a call back form the transmission shop and they said that the car cpu is not giving them a reading or diag code because it seems as if there is no power at the plug. He said that it could be as simple as a blown fuse or relay. But they wont know until they check ALL of the fuses.

Has anybody ever had this issue before? Especially one that would cause my transmission to shift like this?

Quick update - i got a call back form the transmission shop and they said that the car cpu is not giving them a reading or diag code because it seems as if there is no power at the plug. He said that it could be as simple as a blown fuse or relay. But they wont know until they check ALL of the fuses.

Has anybody ever had this issue before? Especially one that would cause my transmission to shift like this?

Errr..... You don't need to check ALL the fuses. There's only one that provides the power to the OBD II port. Now, they may not bother to look up which one it is, in which case....

There was a thread a couple of months ago about problems getting a link on the OBD II port. I can't recall the solution, though.

jval - it's not hard, it just takes more time than a more typical tranny. Also, make sure the car is jacked up level. Use the side skirts / pinchweld as a level reference - NOT the tranny pan! The pan will be tilted when the car is level. Good thing I took a couple of extra minutes when I did mine. :rolleyes:

There's a fill plug on either the tail housing (N) or on the passenger side of the case (S). Use a pump to pump fluid into it, with the car level.

It's a little delicate - you need the car running to get the level correct. If it runs very much without enough fluid, it can burn the frictions. If you fill it without the engine running, it'll just overflow.
So pump in a few quarts, start the engine for a second, pump in a few more, etc.

It's "full" when fluid dribbles - not streams, nor stops dripping - from the tap in the center of the drain plug while running in park at normal temp.

The S can also have the fill plug on the tail housing.

go to www.teamford.com and if you order it online it cost $277 and thats the new one from the dealer. i have the part number at my work pc so Tuesday i can get you the part or you can call them and they will give you the part number and then just order it online. if you go to the dealer it will cost you 400

Maxx at Chapman Ford for all Ford parts. Look for the ad at the top right of this page.

There's a reason everyone here loves him.

Same issue on my 2003 lincoln ls

I just purchased my car at a great deal kinda makes me wonder now if it really was. It shifts hard from sec to third but its fine after. I was told it was the moter and trans mounts by the prev. Owner. I took it to get a trans. Flush after I did the tune up and oil change but the shop couldnt do it because they where unable to suck the old fluid out and the new in. he did say that the fluid in it was good no dark color at all. I just hate that theres no way to really check it your self with out jacking the car up. Anyway what should I do is it an issue with motor mounts or the trans it self.....also why cant the check the engine light I took it to have it check and nothing shows up.

Members online

No members online now.
Back