New member needs help?

rivasjl13

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am want to start working on my 2000 lincoln ls V8. I noticed that everytime i try to start my car, the fuel pump fuse keeps blowing.

Question: Am i going to have to replace the fuel pump and jet pump or just the fuel pump. Really confused on what to do. i am also looking to find a good deal if anybody is selling a fuel pump for a car like mine. Thanks in advance guys. THis is my first post here.

The fuel pump is in the tank. This car has a saddle tank so there is a main fuel pump and then a second transfer pump in the other side. There is an access cover to them under the rear seat. I do not know if you can fully remove the pumps through the access cover or just get to the connections. If you have to drop the tank then you have to pull the driveshaft out as well.

At a minimum, the fuse blowing means you had bad wiring or a bad pump(s). I would pull the rear seat and gain access to the pumps to determine which one is bad. I do not know how to check the pumps to see if they are good or bad. The online Gen2 manual just says to check the powertrain control / emission diagnostics manual.

Maybe someone else knows how to test the pumps. Some sort of ohm test I would imagine.

I really don't like the idea of using a used pump. I would much rather use a reman or new. And yes, I do know they are $400+. I would at least learn how to test for a good/bad pump so you don't find out the hard way something is bad.

Only the passenger side pump is electric. The driver side pump is a jet pump. It's powered by the flow of fuel from the electric pump.

Several points---
1. The 'jet' pump---in the Driver's side part of the tank---is a syphon and is not electrical except for the gauge sender.
2. The pressure pump is accessible and removable under the cover to be found under the back seat on the passenger side. It should easily be tested by removing it and putting power to the proper lead. Please be aware that the wiring may be damaged and therefore causing your problem. Replacement pumps are readily available in the aftermarket.
3. It IS NOT necessary to do anything under the car for the sort of problem you're having, unless it has something to do with the wiring.

KS

Thanks guys, i really appreciate all of yalls advice. I got the seat up, having a little trouble taking off that plastic ring around the pump, going to have to use some major elbow grease. I am going to start with the pressure pump to see if that one is working properly or if the wiring is damaged. than from there, i will take it to the next step and having it replaced.

Make sure you check as much of the wiring as possible before changing the pump. There could be some exposed wire grounding out or a connection loose.

Members online

No members online now.
Back