New LS Owner with a couple quesitons

Carcraze

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am an owner now of a 2002 LS V8 45000 Kms. The car is still under warranty until Nov 2005 and I had it in for service to replace right side valve cover gaskets as it was leaking. I asked if they could do both as I know if one went so will the other. When I picked it up they said the left side was okay and would not need replacing :bash: . I asked them to pull any TSB's as I thought there was one about this and they told me there was no bulletin. I was wondering if you guys knew if there is a TSB and the number as well as any other updates I should be aware of? I asked them to check the rear locks as well due to the front doors when opened unlock the locks mechanically both the rears do not. It feels like it should but may be damaged, the shop told me they compared it to one ont he lot and the operation was normal can anyone verify this?

Thanks
Mat

Here are all the TSB's I found on the disc that I have.....

2002 LINCOLN LS - TSBs found: 38

03-07-03 DRIVEABILITY - ENGINE FLOODING, EXTENDED CRANK TIME OR HARD STARTING - COLD ENGINE WITH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES 30-40 F (-1-5 C) WITH GREATER THAN 75% HUMIDITY ONLY

03-03-07 BODY - PAINT - NO CLEARCOAT BLENDING - COLLISION MANUAL CHANGE

03-03-05 DRIVEABILITY - IDLE AIR CONTROL (IAC) VALVE DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE TIPS

03-03-04 CLIMATE CONTROL - LACK OF COOLING FROM DRIVER AND/OR PASSENGER SIDE VENTS - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL (DATC) ONLY

03-02-03 BRAKES - ABS/ATS (ANTILOCK BRAKING SYSTEM/ADVANCE TRAC SYSTEM) DTCS C1288/C1289 DIAGNOSIS - SERVICE TIPS

03-01-07 DRIVEABILITY - MIL (MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT) WITH DTC P0460 (FUEL LEVEL SENSOR CIRCUIT ERROR) - SERVICE TIPS
ELECTRICAL - MIL (MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT) WITH DTC P0460 (FUEL LEVEL SENSOR CIRCUIT ERROR) - SERVICE TIPS

02-25-02 ELECTRICAL - CDX6 RADIO DAMAGED DURING SERVICE SHIPPING - CORRECT SHIPMENT PROCEDURES FOR CDX6 RADIO - SERVICE TIPS

02-23-07 COOLING SYSTEM - MOTORCRAFT PREMIUM GOLD ENGINE COOLANT - SERVICE TIPS

02-21-15 CLIMATE CONTROL - MUSTY ODOR FROM CLIMATE CONTROL

02-21-13 ENGINE - STRAIGHTEDGE PROCEDURE FOR CHECKING CYLINDER HEAD AND BLOCK FLATNESS

02-21-03 STEERING - STEERING COLUMN POP/CLICK NOISE REPAIR PROCEDURE

02-20-08 CLIMATE CONTROL - A/C SERVICE TECH TIPS

02-20-03 TRANSMISSION - 5R55N, 5R55S, 5R55W - NEW ROTUNDA TOOL FOR CHECKING FLUID LEVEL AND FILLING TRANSMISSIONS

02-17-06 LAMP - BRAKE - INADVERTENT DISABLING OF BRAKE SHIFT INTERLOCK

02-16-03 PAINT - NEW POLISHING PRODUCTS - SERVICE PROCEDURES

02-16-02 DRIVEABILITY - ENGINE RUNS ROUGH OR HESITATES WITH POSSIBLE MIS-FIRE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) P0301-P0308 - WATER CONTAMINATION IN SPARK PLUG WELL - 3.9L ENGINE ONLY

02-13-07 ELECTRICAL - SIDE AIR BAG DIAGNOSTIC CODES (DTC) B1994 AND/OR B1998 - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 2/18/02 ONLY

02-12-02 ELECTRICAL - VEHICLE SYSTEMS GROUND LOCATIONS - INTERMITTENT FAULT DIAGNOSTIC TIPS

02-11-04 ENGINE - NEW GASKET REMOVER/CLEANER AND SERVICE TIPS FOR ALUMINUM HEADS AND BLOCKS

02-09-05 ELECTRICAL - BATTERY DRAIN DIAGNOSIS - SERVICE TIPS

02-07-03 ELECTRICAL - POWER WINDOW - REAR POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 1/22/2002

02-06-06 TRANSMISSION - 5R55N - FLUID LEAK AT TRANSMISSION FLUID PAN DRAIN PLUG

02-05-06 SHEET METAL - PRIMED SERVICE PARTS - PREP PROCEDURE AND MSDS INFORMATION

02-04-05 ELECTRICAL - BATTERY - DISCHARGED BATTERY - CHARGING SERVICE TIPS AND GUIDELINES

02-04-04 ELECTRICAL - RAIN SENSE WIPER SYSTEM INFORMATION - DIAGNOSTIC AID - SERVICE TIPS

02-02-03 ENGINE - MACHINING OF ALUMINUM CYLINDER HEADS OR BLOCKS - WARRANTY INFORMATION

02-01-09 ENGINE - ENGINE OIL - RECOMMENDED APPLICATIONS FOR SAE 5W-20 AND SAE 5W-30 MOTOR OILS - GASOLINE AND FLEXIBLE FUEL VEHICLES ONLY

02-01-06 WHEELS - ROAD FORCE MEASUREMENT EQUIPMENT HUNTER GSP9700 - SERVICE TIPS
VIBRATION - ROAD FORCE MEASUREMENT EQUIPMENT HUNTER GSP9700 - SERVICE TIPS

02-01-04 ENGINE - APPROVED HEAD GASKET REPLACEMENT SERVICE PROCEDURES

01-24-06 ENGINE - ENGINE OIL SYSTEM PRIMING PROCEDURES - SERVICE TIPS

01-23-06 ENGINE COOLANT - PROPYLENE GLYCOL - FORD MOTOR COMPANY POSITION ON ENGINE COOLANTS MADE FROM PROPYLENE GLYCOL
ENGINE COOLANT - PROPYLENE GLYCOL-BASED - FORD MOTOR COMPANY POSITION ON PROPYLENE GLYCOL-BASED ENGINE COOLANTS

01-21-11 DRIVEABILITY - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) P1285 AND/OR P1299 - ENGINE OVERHEAT CONDITION
ELECTRICAL - LAMP - MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ILLUMINATED - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) P1285 AND/OR P1299 - ENGINE OVERHEAT CONDITION
COOLING SYSTEM - ENGINE OVERHEAT
ENGINE - ENGINE OVERHEAT

01-21-07 NOISE - "MOANING/DRONING" DURING LIGHT ACCELERATION AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS

01-20-05 DRIVEABILITY - DETECTING VACUUM LEAKS - USING THE ROTUNDA VACUTEC 522 SMOKE LEAK DETECTOR MACHINE
DRIVEABILITY - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) P0171, AND/OR P0174 - DETECTING VACUUM LEAKS - USING THE ROTUNDA VACUTEC 522 SMOKE LEAK DETECTOR MACHINE

01-15-07 FLUID - TRANSMISSION FLUID USAGE CHARTS

01-15-06 CLIMATE CONTROL - REPEAT HEATER CORE FAILURE
COOLING SYSTEM - REPEAT HEATER CORE FAILURE

01-15-01 STEERING - STEERING WHEEL "NIBBLE" - SPEEDS ABOVE 100 KM/H (60 MPH)
NOISE - LOW FREQUENCY "HUM" AND/OR "BOOM" - SPEEDS ABOVE 100 KM/H (60 MPH)
VIBRATION - FELT IN SEAT, STEERING WHEEL AND/OR FLOORPAN - SPEEDS ABOVE 100 KM/H (60 MPH)

01-10-12 WIRING - WIRE HARNESS TERMINAL REPAIR KIT AND WIRE SPLICE PROCEDURE

The TSB prcedure is not carried out unless (1) the driver reports the stated conditions and (2) the shop can confirm the condition. TSBs are not equal to recalls.

Thanks for the responses. Well looks like they changed the one side not sure if they did all the seals or not. Guess if it runs out of warranty I will have to do it myself. Any idea about the rear door locks are they suppose to unlock when you open the doors like the front or are they different? Thanks for all the TSB's where do you get your disk?
So far it is a great car to drive handles pretty well just hope it holds up.

Mat

Nah, the rear locks have to be manually unlocked. Some sort of worthless safety feature no doubt. Thank God I don't sit back there...

If you are talking about unlocking with the remote. Mine unlock but I have to double tap the unlock button.

Carcraze said:
Thanks for the responses. Well looks like they changed the one side not sure if they did all the seals or not. Guess if it runs out of warranty I will have to do it myself. Any idea about the rear door locks are they suppose to unlock when you open the doors like the front or are they different? Thanks for all the TSB's where do you get your disk?
So far it is a great car to drive handles pretty well just hope it holds up.

Mat

Lincoln does offer 2 after warranty adjustments, freebie fixes, up to 75k miles and I think 6 years. But save that for a big job like valve covers or transmission.

Carcraze said:
Thanks for all the TSB's where do you get your disk?

Mat

It covers all Ford cars/trucks from 1993 to 2004. I got it off of ebay a while ago. I can not make a copy of it because it is a DVD, not a cd, and I do not have a DVD burner yet. :Beer

I should look into one of those disks when I try and get a shop manual. They seem to have fixed it as I do not smell oil after the first day.

Thanks
Mat

FreeFaller said:
Nah, the rear locks have to be manually unlocked. Some sort of worthless safety feature no doubt. Thank God I don't sit back there...

Worthless? Hardly. Its a child safety feature, keeps kids from bailing when you take those on ramps at high speeds. Theres a knob on each back door (visible when the door is open) that disables it. The Autolock feature (that unlocks the doors when parked) only unlocks the front doors. I DO wish it would unlock all doors. Since I have kids, I've gotten into the habit of hitting the power unlock button when I get out so I can let the kids out of the back seat, or any adults who might be back there. This is pretty much a standard feature on 4-dr sedans these days.

Members online

Back