New LS Owner help (problem already)

ChrisZero

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, how are yous my name is chris im 19 n I'm new lol,

I recently brought my first car a 2001 Lincoln LS V8'
With 127.000 miles for 1100 dollars,

So When I drive the car around 25 miles or so The Check Tranmission message came on, n kinda scared me but the car feels fine but I'm not too smart on when it comes to cars / transmissions n stuff and when it's in Gear it's showing a "E'" so could this be a real big problem or its pretty common?

Or did I do something wrong?

If you did anything wrong, it was buying a 40K+ car for $1K that is 13/14 years old and not expecting major expenses to get and keep it in proper shape.

Your first problem (transmission) could be as cheap as $400 (solenoid assembly, fluid, filter, gasket, ...) if you can do transmission work yourself, or as high as $4K (replace transmission). Since it was sold for $1K, it's probably had this problem for a while, so the transmission may already be shot.

Soon you will probably be replacing the cooling system.
Soon you will probably be replacing all the COPs and plugs.
Soon you may be replacing the timing chain tensioners and chains (or wait and replace the engine).

All that said, a well cared for LS is a great and reliable car.

I have same problem even had transmission rebuilt changed computer problem still there my next attempt is to check the ground

Hey Joe, I have the V6 (2005)... what's the low down on the chain tensioners etc on my engine?

Hey Joe, I have the V6 (2005)... what's the low down on the chain tensioners etc on my engine?

No problems with the chains or tensioners. Some problems (not bad or unusual) with o-rings on the intake now and then. The usual plastic cooling system parts issues, COPs, ...

Thx Joe, I just changed all the coolant hoses and now the pump is squealing a bit at idle, so I'll prob do that and a new belt. The bleeding went OK but I'm gonna keep an eye on it for a while. Is 6 qts enough coolant? That's about what I put in after flushing the engine etc.
By the way, do you know the part # for the tube that goes from the intake manifold to the EGR Solenoid?

Members online

Back