new lincoln RWD platform off the mustang

chocolat1701

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i just read this article from car and driver that lincoln is looking into the mustang to build a RWD platform. here is the original article and tell me what you guys think.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lincol...n-could-be-a-study-in-fords-brand-discipline/

Car and Driver

Intelligence. Independence. Irreverence.
Lincoln Wants 2015 Mustang Components for RWD Sedan, Could Be a Study In Ford’s Brand Discipline
June 22, 2012 at 11:52am by Dave Mable

With development of the all-new 2015 Mustang well underway, the car’s component set—or more precisely, part of its component set—has activated interest in a rear-wheel-drive platform to underpin a Lincoln sedan.

We’ve learned that Ford is contemplating a new four-door platform using the next Mustang’s MacPherson front and new independent rear suspension (spy photos of the new rear setup here) as its basis, along with some of the pony car’s larger underbody stampings. With the manufacturer time and again stating its commitment to the wayward Lincoln brand, moving forward with rear-drive plans would allow the blue oval to back up its words with something of substance. Indeed, key folks in Lincoln’s planning and design departments are on the prowl for rear-drive products that can go head-to-head with Cadillac and other serious luxury makes. There are three possibilities, as outlined below.

A Series of Vacuums in the Lineup

Compared to key competitors Cadillac and Lexus, the current Lincoln range shows a number of empty spaces. The most obvious missing product is an entry-level luxury performance sedan, a segment contested by Cadillac with the new ATS and by Lexus with the IS. There are those within Ford who believe that the 2013 MKZ with its optional AWD is a player in this segment; these may be the same people who thought the Ford SVT Contour was a BMW 3-series competitor. Make no mistake, while the MKZ is well-positioned enough to go mano a mano with the soft Lexus ES, it lacks the street cred to play in the same sandbox with the 3-series, ATS, Infiniti G, Audi A4, or Mercedes-Benz C-class.

The next void in Lincoln’s offerings isn’t so much a hole as it is a misaligned product: the MKS sedan. Essentially a re-skinned Taurus with a snazzier interior, the MKS has never found footing in a segment populated by harder-running cars such as the Cadillac CTS, BMW 5-series, Lexus GS, Infiniti M, and Mercedes E-class. In 2011, Lincoln sold just 12,217 examples of the MKS. For comparison, Cadillac moved more than 55,000 CTS models during the same period—it was the second-highest seller among its competition. Although station wagons and coupes factor into the CTS totals, it’s nevertheless true that Lincoln sold just 22 percent of what Cadillac did in this profitable segment. While it wouldn’t guarantee success—execution would key that metric—a rear-wheel-drive entry from Lincoln might allow the brand to close the gap. On paper, the current MKS looks to be better positioned to challenge Cadillac’s XTS anyway, and a new RWD mid-sizer would free the MKS up to serve as the cushy techno-cruiser it really wants to be.

2015 Ford Mustang independent rear suspension

The third and most obvious hole in the Lincoln range calls for a brand-defining large car. With only two sedans in Lincoln’s rudderless lineup, a vehicle like this may be even more important for the brand than it is for Cadillac. Unfortunately, this would be a hefty stretch for the Mustang chassis and underbody components being evaluated by Ford. While the engines, gearboxes, differential, and rear-suspension geometry could be poached from the 2015 Mustang, a car with the proper dimensions (think 16 feet long, or more) would force significant reengineering and retooling of many of the sports car’s components.

If the new RWD sedan underpinnings are approved, of these three cars, the smart money has Ford going with the CTS/5-series competitor. Still, even with a green light, there still will be some significant drivetrain work to be done.

Complications: One Technical, the Other Managerial

Looking at the mid-luxury-sedan landscape, pretty much every product offers optional all-wheel drive (with the ironic exception of the Ford-planned and -developed Jaguar XF, although it will add the tech in the next couple of years). Packaging and engineering an AWD system for the Mustang-derived architecture will be a big upfront challenge to getting the model approved. History has shown that luxury sedans become virtually salesproof throughout the Northeast, Midwest, and in the Rockies from November through April if they don’t offer all-wheel drive. This makes development of AWD a gilt-edged priority.

Even if such a model is approved, rides on rear-drive bones, and offers all-wheel drive, perhaps the biggest roadblock to a Lincoln performance sedan is the blue oval itself. The Ford brand is a sponge when it comes to product, and, if such a vehicle is approved, the Ford executives will want a version, citing immediate volume realization and commensurate quick economic payoff. But despite those things, and regardless of how well a Ford version might take the fight to the upcoming Chevrolet SS sedan, it is essential that the product be Lincoln’s and Lincoln’s alone.

With initially low sales volumes and relatively high variable cost to produce the Lincoln performance luxury sedan, it likely will take two product generations to see meaningful returns. If Ford isn’t willing to wait the decade it’s going to take to revitalize Lincoln the right way, it should probably just fold its luxury brand now and save itself the inevitable “death of a thousand cuts” fate that awaits any carmaker that expects to redeem a brand in 60 months on the cheap.

Yea this topic has been brought up here before. There wanting to have a rwd sedan for sale for the 2016 model year. If this happens I can't wait.

There's also talk of having an aviator again based on the explorer also for the 2016 year :)) that also excites me. Except for the fact that a loaded explorer is 50k these days. What is an aviator going to be priced like the navigator currently is?? That'd be crazy. Pretty sure back in the day a loaded aviator was the same as a loaded ls. About 50k on the sticker. Hmm inflation is definately here

The 2016 MKL

Base: RWD 2.4L Eco Boost 4 banger
MKL-S: 3.0L V6 twin turbo
MKL-SR: 5.0L supercharge V8

Im not great with engines and such so someone with more knowledge of what Ford already has developed come in and fix that up for me lol. The MKL-SR should basically just take the new GT500s setup and drop that in, but with all the awesomeness of the LS suspension. Basically, a CTS-V fighter. This is my dream lol.

I work for a catering company in Ann Arbor as a bartender. I was working an event and half way through (after receiving many complements about my LS) I realized it was actually a ton of the top brass from Ford. I pitched basically what I wrote at the top to the host of the party lol. He didnt say anything really besides it would be cool, but did humor me which was nice of him :rolleyes:

I have his Email... I'm thinking about emailing him and asking if hes heard anything he can talk about... Probably not a great idea though considering that is sort of an abuse of my job position

Just tell him your a member on a Lincoln forum and there are lots and lots of Lincoln owners who were upset when the ls was discontined, when they never replaced it with a rwd vehicle, and how there whole lineup consists of fwd/awd curvy whale like cars now. If they came out with a new rwd sports sedan that is fun to drive there would be a lot of interest from people you know from the forum. So tell him I hope the rumor is true because a lot of people are turning to other luxury brands for replacing there LS, because Lincoln has nothing that truly replaced it. I.e. someone on here just bought that Infiniti. And 05 bought a jaguar. And also if they do come out with a new rwd sedan it needs to be exclusive to Lincoln. Not just a rebadged ford.

Just email him that..

I'd rather it be a rebadged Ford. Parts would be far cheaper and easily accessible if it were.

I'd rather it be a rebadged Ford. Parts would be far cheaper and easily accessible if it were.

Screw that.

Thats the mentality that gives us fwd **** boxes. Look at Cadillac, do they share any sheet metal with anything else GM? Hell no...and thats part of the reason why they are so successful right now, as well as everything being rwd.

How about ford pulls it head out of its ass and uses a suspension they designed over 12 years ago that is still superior to anything else they have out now, and is still being used in the XF even.

This time they need to use mod motors, and the cooling system found in the expedition. Those fans run silent compared to ours and never overheat. If they use mechanics found in other ford vehicles, parts wont be expensive. Its when they use non-standard engines like ours and a cooling system like ours that parts are priced higher.

So a 2015 Lincoln LS somewhat based off the falcon. Same vehicle could be offered in a coupe, for the mark guys.

5.0 coyote motor (supercharged optional)
6 Speed ZF/6R75 Transmission with select-shift
19" Factory Alloys (20" optional)
Power everything
Large Moonroof
Heated/cooled Front rear
Two tone leather multiple color options
Standard HID lows & led fogs
7" Touchscreen

Target price needs to be as close to $40K as possible to be competitive.

Screw that.

Thats the mentality that gives us fwd **** boxes. Look at Cadillac, do they share any sheet metal with anything else GM? Hell no...and thats part of the reason why they are so successful right now, as well as everything being rwd.

How about ford pulls it head out of its ass and uses a suspension they designed over 12 years ago that is still superior to anything else they have out now, and is still being used in the XF even.

This time they need to use mod motors, and the cooling system found in the expedition. Those fans run silent compared to ours and never overheat. If they use mechanics found in other ford vehicles, parts wont be expensive. Its when they use non-standard engines like ours and a cooling system like ours that parts are priced higher.

So a 2015 Lincoln LS somewhat based off the falcon. Same vehicle could be offered in a coupe, for the mark guys.

5.0 coyote motor (supercharged optional)
6 Speed ZF/6R75 Transmission with select-shift
19" Factory Alloys (20" optional)
Power everything
Large Moonroof
Heated/cooled Front rear
Two tone leather multiple color options
Standard HID lows & led fogs
7" Touchscreen

Target price needs to be as close to $40K as possible to be competitive.

Doesnt Cadillac have quite a few rebadges? They just actually change enough that it doesnt look like a rebadge. Like that cross over is just a Traverse isnt it? I might be wrong on that. But what DOES matter is that the head of the Cadillac fleet, the CTS, ISN'T a rebadge. What Ford doesn't seem to understand is that having that one car that just owns sh*t is really important. Caddy with the CTS-V (not quite a supercar or anything but it gets people excited about the brand), GM in general with the Z06, Chrysler with the Viper (the new one looks pretty cool thanks to Ferrari), Lexus with the LFA (ew), etc etc. Those super cars get people excited about the brand. Sure, they dont actually sell a lot of those, but they bring people under the wing. Ford was doing the GT40 thing for a minute there and it was awesome. It was the super car they needed to get people excited about Ford. Then they said F that like idiots. Ford needs to bring back some sort of super car (and no the new GT500 doesnt count) and they need to do the same with Lincoln (in the form of a MKL-SR :p)

The best part about the Cadillac CTS-V is you get the luxuxy of a cadillac and the speed of a corvette without looking like a douche driving around in a corvette. And its affordable. Lincoln needs to get up on this... they could do something similar by taking the MKS and just dropping the shebly engine in it or something, kinda like a cadillac/corvette hybrid but instead a Lincoln/Mustang hybrid.

Screw that.

So are you disagreeing with me or not? Your post covers both positions.

whatever they go with... it most likely win not look good.... (assuming they continue with their current line of styling). $.02

So are you disagreeing with me or not? Your post covers both positions.

I agree with your post on saving money for parts but by using mechanics, not the same sheet metal. I dont want a future LS to be a re-badged taurus.

They can use the taurus engine and transmission , but it needs to look different.

There are very few if any rebadged caddys. Most of them are all unique to cadillac, but share mechanics from other gm's like the cts-v.

A Taurus couldn't be rebadged as a rear wheel drive car anyway, so that wouldn't matter. Even the AWD models are FWD with the rear wheels cut in as needed. That Falcon would be a nice rebadge if it's still RWD. Otherwise, I would agree, new body.

If there are any Ford/Lincoln execs perusing this board or this thread, hear me well - I will NEVER buy another front wheel drive car again, or an all wheel drive car based on a front wheel drive. Period. I'll keep my car until the wheels fall off, then I'll fix what broke and do it again, before I buy more front wheel drive crap. If you want my business, you'll sell me what I want. If you don't want my business, that'll be fine too. And, I've trained my kids the same way, they also do not want and will never buy front wheel drive crap. That's the next generation of buyers, guys.

i think lincoln is going in the right direction especially starting with the new 2013 MKZ, the style is beign unique and lincoln only, ford promissed that lincoln and ford wont share any sheet metal starting with this car and from the looks of the MKZ and FUSION i dont see any sheet metal that are shared on both models even when you see them side by side and thats a good thing. i test drove a 2013 mks and that suspension is a dream the sport/normal/cruise modes really do make a big difference. the engines are better with the ecoboost 4 and 6 are great engines. now we need a ecoboost 8 and it will be perfect. if lincoln can just limit the selection to hybrid and ecoboost engines only and leave the non- ecoboost to ford cars then that will be great. the final peace of the of the puzzle is the RWD/AWD platforms and its good to hear that they are thinking of doing this next. lincoln is going in the right direction but hopefully they dont take too long cuz its almost time for me to trade up.

^^ haha yea the style is unique to Lincoln because the other brands know better then to fill the dealer lots with curvy whales.

The mks and im sure the new mkz will be the same for me. But there not cars that draw my attention when I see them driving down the road. The ls really is a head turner. The XF also so. But these new Lincoln's the need to better looking. Sexy if you will. The number one reason I bought the LS was for looks. Everything else that I discovered about the car while test driving was just added bonuses.

I hope they come out with some new designs far far far from the current mkz/mks.

When they announced that the mkz would be completely redone and look completely different. But once I saw it, I was greatly aplreciated. The new mkz is how I could have imagined it would have looked without this new designer. The fusion on the other hand. That's completely different from the current fusion.

Frustrated dude right here

i have seen the MKZ in person and its a great looking car especially compared to the competition for it. LEXUS ES (boring lookikng) acura TL ( weird looking but some peaple think its hot) now the design is getting better but not there yet. i actually like the way the 2013 mks looks i didnt like it on the pics of it but when i went to the NY auto show this year this car looks better than the first one but still not up to par with the competition.

I think we have completely opposite taste. Lol. I agree the TL is nothing to look at but I'd take an ES any day over any sedan Lincoln has to offer right now. :/

And I hate toyota.

Last edited:

Members online

Back