new headlamps or sanding?

sho89mtx

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The only problem with my new paint job is that it's so shiny, it makes my headlights look really yellow and dirty. Should I try the sanding thing on them first, or just buy new clear ones? How much do the headlamps cost? I'm sure if it's a Ford part it's probably outrageous, huh?

thanks,
scott

try sanding them...just watch the new paint underneatht them.

they run about $189 each, with bulbs, from Ford.

1500 wet/dry, then
2000 wet./dry
then rubbing compund, followed by a killer polish, then plastic polish...its worth a shot.

if the yellowing is inside the lense(common), fraid nothing you can do about it without taking the light apart...

sho89mtx said:
The only problem with my new paint job is that it's so shiny, it makes my headlights look really yellow and dirty. Should I try the sanding thing on them first, or just buy new clear ones? How much do the headlamps cost? I'm sure if it's a Ford part it's probably outrageous, huh?

thanks,
scott

All you need to replace are the lenses. I think it's like $46.00 a piece. I saw it somewhere. If I find the link I'll let you know. The real problem is actually replacing them. You have to separate the lenses from the assembly. The adhesive has to be melted. You DON'T want to buy a whole new assembly. THAT will cost you.

I just bought "new" ones from ebay and an member at another Forum. Ford is $660 for the pair I got one with perfect lenses and HID bulbs for $330 shipped...or half price.

I can personally recommend the Meguires Plastic-X. My Gen1 Lenses were not quite as bad as yours, but after a couple applications of the Plastic-X they look almost as good as new. Heck, for the 7 bucks it costs for a bottle at Checker, it's definately worth trying!

I went to Autozone and bought this pack of 6 polishing pads that you attach to the head of your drill. They are made for this sort of thing. I used four of the pads on my driver's lens, and (to my great surprise) it came out as clear as the passenger lens. It comes in a box and is plug-n-play, for $10.00. I'll post pics when I get home from work. Sorry I don't have the befores but you can't tell much difference b/t them now, and b/f the driver side was YELLOW.

fossten said:
All you need to replace are the lenses. I think it's like $46.00 a piece. I saw it somewhere. If I find the link I'll let you know. The real problem is actually replacing them. You have to separate the lenses from the assembly. The adhesive has to be melted. You DON'T want to buy a whole new assembly. THAT will cost you.

If you can find a link for the replacement lenses post it to all in a thead of it's own. I bet most Mark VIII owners would like to know!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back