New Guy with a Question

misteramx

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have several ongoing projects, one of them is putting a rear disc brake rear end into my pro touring car. I have the chance to pick up an '88 LSC for cheap and was thinking about using the 8.8 with disc brakes out of it.

What I really need to know is what is the actual width of the rear end assembly, from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. That is the most important measurement for my project.

I'll be using other bits and pieces off of this Lincoln, and the rest will be sold, probably here.

Thanks for any help or information you can share.

I cant help you with the technical question, but there are alot of really smart guys at this site who will surely help you out once they see your post.

On your parts car, I do need a center console lid cover (black) if its still there and
you dont need it. If anyone else reading these posts has one, please let me know.
Thanks....Katz

re-Markable LSC said:
Seats? color/condition? Where is Lewiston?

Lewiston, ID...about 100 miles south of Spokane Washington

Didn't mean to steal your thunder Misteramx but I used to live in Boise so I knew the answer...

By the way :W to :V

if I were you I wouldn't do it for a couple of reasons

1. no traction lock
2. brakes suck
3. bolt pattern is harder to find for wheels

I'd go with a mustang rear end if you can find one in the junkyard

misteramx said:
Greetings,
<snip> What I really need to know is what is the actual width of the rear end assembly, from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. That is the most important measurement for my project.
Thanks for any help or information you can share.

I see no such specification in the service manuals but a quick check shows real close to 63 inches from lug nut to lug nut.. stock aluminum wheel thickness is probably 1/2 inch...
I'm going to say 62" (+/- 0.5").

Hmmm, 62" may be just a tad too wide, but only an inch on each side. I'm just have to climb in the muck and see for sure.

Jibit, you mentioned the brakes sucked? Why? As for the traction lok, I thought some, like the LSC, did have the traction lok and 3.27 gears. And the bolt pattern, it's a standard 5 x 4 1/2, same as I run on the front of my car. Are you thinking of the MN12 chassis?

Freefaller, yup Lewiston Idaho. God bless potatoes!

As for the parts, the interior is red leather, the seats may go into my pro touring car as well, the 5.0 motor and tranny transplanted into either my '68 Mustang or my '85 Cougar (decisions, decisions).

When I get this thing out where I can actually take a tape to it, I'll let you know for sure.

personally I just think the brakes suck, maybe its because of how heavy the car is but you'd better off getting different callipers. I know my mark VIII reacts a lot better (not as good as I would like) than my mark VII.

I don't think the traction lock came in the LSC either

for some reason I thought there was something different between the mark VII bolt pattern and the mustang, don't remember haven't looked in a while.

No, most Mark VII LSCs had a trac-lock. Bolt pattern is the same as a Mustang, along with just about everything else. Weight is about the same as a VIII, and the discs on the VII are either the same size or bigger by 1" in the back.

Wouldn't be surprised if an older VII with 11" discs all around brakes better than a VIII. ;) :p

One way to tell is to lift the back end up and rotate one of the wheels, both wheels off the ground, if you rotate one wheel and the other doesn't rotate, you have an open rear end. I think...it's been a while.

I would imagine on the door tag, there is an axle code though, a letter or something, that will tell you the axle code and if it's a traction lok or not.

Still to wet to get under the car for measurements, maybe tomorrow...

Do a burnout or take a fast RH turn and see if only one wheel lights up. :p

The door tag should either read "E" or "Z", for 3.27/3.08 axle ratios.

I'm curious how many actually have the traction lock because I have never personally seen one stock other wise I'd be pulling them out of the bone yard. Were they in SE's or just an option?

It was always available, it might have been standard on LSCs in the late 1980s. I've seen plenty of them, so it was at least an option across the board.

My 91 has no trac-loc, but then again, it is a Bill Blass...maybe that has something to do with it... :slam

Okay, did a little research, at least for my car. The axle code for mine is "E", which when deciphered, indicates a 3.27...with Traction Lok :dancefool Now if I can just make sure it's not too wide. 60" is what's in my car now (not the LSC, the pro touring car), so I need to be pretty close to that. However, I do have a bunch of room in my rear fender's, so it may not be that big of deal to be a bit too big.

Some folks were asking about the parts off of this car. Okay, the car is an '88 LSC, black with dark maroon leather seats. I'm keeping the wheels, hopefully the rear end, the front calipers, the radiator, the front seats. There may be a few little things, but who knows. The car is a sunroof car, had lots of little things still good (grille, trunk lid, sunroof). I may sell the 5.0 and tranny, together or separate, but the motor has 200K miles on it. I was also thinking of rebuilding it for my 89 Mustang LX. Interested in some parts, drop me a line, I'll see what's still on it.

Members online

Back