New Guy with 2004 Thunderbird.. trying to figure these cars out

Brian Mifsud

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

After my teenager totaled my low mileage Honda Fit (he was not hurt...), I had a reimbursement check in my pocket and a "clean slate". Long story short, I walked onto a Ford lot to look at an eye catching 13 year old Mint Green Thunderbird, and drove away a cosmetically and mechanically "perfect" 59K mile car.

Now to figure out the unique strengths and weaknesses, best answers I've found in Google lead me to this forum.

Thanks
Brian

Wouldn't a 2004 model year be about 16 and a half years old?
Anyway, with a 2004 you can expect shortly to be replacing all the plastic cooling system parts (except the radiator unless it has be driven a lot while overheating), note that this includes the upper and lower hoses. Also expect to replace the coils and plugs (plugs must be replaced at the same time as the coils). Use the latest rev Motorcraft coils and you probably won't have to do it again. Same for the valve cover gaskets. The latest ones solve those problems.

Wouldn't a 2004 model year be about 16 and a half years old?
Anyway, with a 2004 you can expect shortly to be replacing all the plastic cooling system parts (except the radiator unless it has be driven a lot while overheating), note that this includes the upper and lower hoses. Also expect to replace the coils and plugs (plugs must be replaced at the same time as the coils). Use the latest rev Motorcraft coils and you probably won't have to do it again. Same for the valve cover gaskets. The latest ones solve those problems.

My math is based on about two years of ownership. Praying that the overheat has not yet upset the Head Gasket....

I'm going through your part number list in the other thread. Still cheaper than a car payment for sure.
Man that fan shroud was in very tight.. I realized removing the right radiator top bracket let the radiator move just enough to get that fan unit out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back