New GM sports cars

memo

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The Pontiac Solstice came out as a concept at the 2002 Detroit auto show in January.

It was shown at last year's Detroit auto show in production form.

It will have an available limited-slip differential and will have a base price of $19,995 when it goes on sale this fall.

Pontiac has 8,177 orders for the Solstice as of May 23rd.

Pontiac might make a Solstice coupe.

check these links

2002 concept

2006 Solstice

Solstice coupe

Read this great artice about the Solstice

Inside the Solstice

Check out the Solstice on Pontiac's website

http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/index.jsp?brand=home

The Solstice will be raced in Grand-Am Cup

check below

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_gm_race_solstice/

The 2007 Saturn Sky will use the Solstice's chassis, but will have more standard features and will cost more. It was shown at the 2005 Detroit auto show.

Saturn Sky

158SKY_overhead_1024-med.jpg

Check here

Saturn Sky

222000_0004-med.JPG

It has styling from the mid-engined European Vauxhall VX220.

check here

Vauxhall VX220

Nice looking cars but couldn't they have come up with a better name at the Saturn camp.

College freshman coeds will love em. Maybe this will save GM, thoughts?

The Solstice will start production with only a manual transmission. An automatic will be available sometime later.

memo said:
The Solstice will start production with only a manual transmission. An automatic will be available sometime later.

well there goes most of the demographic I mentioned. I would drive one but it seems to be more of a young womans car.

memo said:
I think "Sky" is a far better name than "Cayman" which is what Porsche calls the new Boxster coupe.

check here

http://fast-autos.net/porsche/porschecaymans.html

Wow nice ride. I did not know they were canning the Boxster or is this in addition to the Boxster. You are right about the name though. It just does not fit with teh macho naming convention but then again that SUV doesn't either.

I was considering the Boxster when I found the LS. My inner voice told me... actually my wife yelled at me and told me I was not goig to buy that car. I settled on the LS.

I sure hate to rain on this parade. But in fact, what is happening to GM just makes me want to cry.

When Bob Lutz got there and started shaking up the new product plans, I though that finally GM "got it." Like when Goshen got to Nissan and turned things around in a heartbeat. So here we are, many of the Lutz products have been introduced, and with the exception of the Corvette C6 and the new Cadillacs, the new products are the bland and boring stuff we have come to expect from GM.

To me, the Solstice is okay, but do we really get excited over another Miata? Even if we love it, the market for a small two-seater is certainly the very essense of niche product. Where is a knock-out Impala to go after the Nissan Altima or Toyota Avalon? Where is an awesome reborn Grand Prix to battle head to head with the BMW 3s or 5s?

Consider even one of GM's current high points: the new Cadillacs. Do we really think GM's Standard of the World can match the offerings of the Mercedes S-Class or the BMW 7 series? Just consider that both of the German marques use unique, sophisticated platforms for their luxury flagships, while GM continues to pull out of the corporate parts bin.

I don't think we'll see GM or Ford disappear from the scene as some predict, but my guess is that something along the lines of the Chrysler-Daimler "merger" will occur, after which the strings will be pulled in Toyko or Paris. A French-owned GM would be a nightmare, but on the other hand, we could do worse than having Carlos Goshen directing Chevrolet product development.

I'm not sure if Lutz had a part in the the 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, but it is a sweet SUV.

check this link

New Hummer

Toyota will drop the MR2 for the 2006 model year so that is one less competitor.

Mercedes-Benz quality isn't what it used to be.

check this link

MB recall

MB lost around $1,000,000,000 during the first quarter and VW lost over $1,000,000,000 last year in North America. Instead of VW making a great new Jetta, it ends up looking like a Toyota Corolla.

The Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky aren't just another Miata. They look far better than even the new 2006 Mazda MX-5 (the Miata name will be dropped). Plus, the Solstice will be raced in Grand-Am Cup which has been getting bigger and better for the last few years. I sure hope GM learns a lot from these two roadsters like the fact that steering feel counts.

Lutz needs to take GM's beancounters for a ride in the Soltice and the Z06.

The new Chevy Cobalt sold well in April.

Read this great Cobalt article.

New Cobalt

A performance package is available for the Cobalt SS. It includes leather-appointed Recaro seats and a Quaife limited-slip differential.

WKA2004102940555_pv.jpg

WKA2004102940615_pv.jpg

New 2007 GM trucks and SUVs need the 4.2 liter 275 hp I-6.

ll8.jpg

The Vortec 4200 I-6 has been one of Ward's ten best engines since 2002.

see link

4.2 liter I-6

The following is from chevyhiperformance.com:

"To increase casting accuracy and minimize engine weight, the aluminum block and cylinder head of the Vortec 4200 I-6 are made using a “lost foam” process. This casting technology provides both improved control of the manufacturing process and allows direct-mounted accessories that reduce vibration and weight. With the exception of the power-steering pump bracket, all engine accessories bolt directly to the engine."

p159132_image_large.jpg

"One of the most interesting aspects of the Vortec 4200 I-6 is what’s called variable-valve exhaust timing. This feature adjusts the exhaust camshaft timing within a range of 25 degrees as engine operating conditions change. To do that, an onboard computer first collects several points of data including throttle position, engine load, and vehicle speed. From there, a control valve adds or removes oil from a cavity and piston chamber (see cutaway photo) at the front of the camshaft. Thus, advancing or retarding the exhaust camshaft not only enhances the torque curve, but also improves idle quality and reduces emissions. With the ability to change timing, a more aggressive camshaft profile can also be used."

p159131_image_large.jpg

memo said:
...Mercedes-Benz quality isn't what it used to be.

...MB lost around $1,000,000,000 during the first quarter and VW lost over $1,000,000,000 last year in North America. Instead of VW making a great new Jetta, it ends up looking like a Toyota Corolla.

...The Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky aren't just another Miata. Lutz needs to take GM's beancounters for a ride in the Soltice and the Z06.

...The new Chevy Cobalt sold well in April.

...The Vortec 4200 I-6 has been one of Ward's ten best engines since 2002.

Good comments, but I am concerned that the conclusion implied may not play out. Even if the Solstice and its sibling Saturn do well, IMO the far more important center of the market, as represented by the new Pontiac G6 and the new Buick sedans, need much more exciting, more competative products from GM if the General is to avoid further serious losses in market share. A potentially even bigger problem will be confronting GM soon--the reliance (and huge investment) they have placed on the new light trucks and SUVs. Granted, as recently as a year ago, this looked like a good bet. But it the new era of $50/barrel oil, full sized trucks and SUVs are now looking like a risky bet.

I grew up in the salad days for GM (as well as Ford and Chrysler). I well remember, say, 1963, when your local Chevy dealer offered Impala 409s,
Nova SS hardtops, Monza Spyders, and the new, radical Corvette Stingrays. Unfortunately, with too few exceptions, to get this kind of excitement in cars today, one has to shop the imports.

There are lots of great imports, but you know have to spend more to get the good stuff.

Note the following:

VW GTI is affordable, but not as fun as it used to be (buy a $30,000 Golf R32 instead now)

Porsche 911s once had dry-sump lubrication (used in race cars), but you know have to buy a $100,000 GT3 to get it. Regular 911s suffer from engine leaks (has been going on since the 1997 Boxster)

BMWs use to look great, but now they are nasty and becoming computers with wheels.

VWs used to be quirky until they tried to go upmarket.

MBs used to have great build quality and reliability, but they just recalled 1.3 million automobiles.

Toyota is going to build an expensive sports car instead of something to compete with the Nissan 350Z.

I could go on and on...

Members online

No members online now.
Back