New exhaust ! *PICS*

seanklsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Dirty car!

742555_6_full.jpg

742555_7_full.jpg

After the cats is all 2.5" pipe. I removed the "third cat" aka resonator and replaced it with an X-pipe. The stainless steel XpansionX II mufflers are sold by Lincoln Motor Sport and come with dual tips that fit nicely in the cutouts.

Sorry the car is dirty. The direct sunlight wasn't helping much either. Once I get tires on my Cobra R's I'll have some nice pics. Videos coming soon too!

Also I'd just like to add that a Gen 2 exhaust may look the same as a Gen 1, but *inch for inch* IT IS NOT. For example, you cannot swap an exhaust welded for a Gen 2 car to a Gen 1 without modifications. It is best just to cut the mufflers and X/H-pipe out and get new pipes. I learned this the hard way.

Ohh yeah I forgot to say how they sounded. How stupid of me. I've heard them before, I know of 2 other guys here at LvC with the same exact setup (except one has the XX-pipe). It's loud. But not Mustang loud, more exotic and smooth. No popping at all. At idle is sounds almost stock.. no "blub blub blub". On takeoff it sounds like the devil at rest. At WOT in the cabin it is quieter than you would think, I hear more engine noise (valvetrain?) than exhaust. At 1500rpm there is a heavy drone but I hear an XX-pipe would fix it. Outside of the car it sounds and looks absolutely awesome.

They seem to be hanging a little low, anyway you could raise then an inch or 2 ? Other than that Congrats on the new addition !!!

seanklsc said:
Dirty car!

742555_6_full.jpg

742555_7_full.jpg

After the cats is all 2.5" pipe. I removed the "third cat" aka resonator and replaced it with an X-pipe. The stainless steel XpansionX II mufflers are sold by Lincoln Motor Sport and come with dual tips that fit nicely in the cutouts.

Sorry the car is dirty. The direct sunlight wasn't helping much either. Once I get tires on my Cobra R's I'll have some nice pics. Videos coming soon too!

Also I'd just like to add that a Gen 2 exhaust may look the same as a Gen 1, but *inch for inch* IT IS NOT. For example, you cannot swap an exhaust welded for a Gen 2 car to a Gen 1 without modifications. It is best just to cut the mufflers and X/H-pipe out and get new pipes. I learned this the hard way.

Is there not a way you can get those muffler tucked up into the underside? No offense, but it looks a little silly. I've been contemplating this look, but I wasn't going to do it if this is the end result. I thin I will look at single tips.

Cubster said:
They seem to be hanging a little low, anyway you could raise then an inch or 2 ? Other than that Congrats on the new addition !!!
no such thing, needs to be lower. hehe!

looks awesome man, so its justa cat back system?

Yeah, headers is too big of a job. I'm not really sure if they could be higher. I can't remember what it looked like when it was on the lift. Jeremi had the original XpansionX and they were mounted in the same place as mine. As you could see, the tips are very close to the paint as it is. Tucking the mufflers up more would result in the tips being tilted at an angle to avoid problems.

I do like where they are mounted though. They look real nice, always love stainless steel... Geno, any thoughts?

I like em' tucked. Thats why we reccomend the Oval tipped versions for the 94.5's and up and the ones you have for the 97'98's. It still looks good though, especially with that color!!!

x2new1.jpg

x2new3.jpg

seanklsc said:
Yeah, headers is too big of a job. I'm not really sure if they could be higher. I can't remember what it looked like when it was on the lift. Jeremi had the original XpansionX and they were mounted in the same place as mine. As you could see, the tips are very close to the paint as it is. Tucking the mufflers up more would result in the tips being tilted at an angle to avoid problems.

I never had any XpansionX muffler on any of my cars.
The red car had Magnaflow mufflers and it was a much better fit than these. Fix it.

m8_3.JPG

Yeah Jeremi that's the pic I had in mind. I think they look the same? Ah well, it looks good for now. I'm gonna end up redoing it anyway one day because the pipe after the X isn't laying in the cutouts, it's kinda sticking out. I learned a lesson at the exhaust shop yesterday, and that lesson cost a few hundred bucks... but that's life.

Geno, curious... if you sold me the XpansionX II's you have on sale, they would be the same muffler but fitted with oval tips so it could fit better? I don't recall seeing oval ones.. I just know these dual tips. I really like those angled tips that are on Jamler3's car too.

The reason we angle them on the Gen 2's is because their tip relief in the bumper is angled, so we followed that design. We have always had the XpansionX I's oval tipped. Thats what I had on my car for 4 years now.

Heres more on them.

With the mufflers like that it just doesn't fit well with the car I would rather have them tucked up as much as possible so only the tips will hang down. Is that possible?

Markviiiedrea said:
With the mufflers like that it just doesn't fit well with the car I would rather have them tucked up as much as possible so only the tips will hang down. Is that possible?

Of course, these are totally tucked.

x2new1.jpg

'94.5 ??

What is a '94.5 and how is it distinguished from '94. I see on my VIN plate that mine was made in May of '94 if that makes it qualify, but there are no cut outs on my rear bumper if thats what to look for. But then the PO told me it had suffered a couple rear ender accidents, you wouldn't know by looking though. The reason I ask though is because I'm still trying to budget for the whole exhaust system and want to know which muffler with which tips to purchase. Thanks in advance.

Hey Sean... Congrats on the exhaust... Looks great... Look forward to seeing it soon!!!

JC

Terrance said:
What is a '94.5 and how is it distinguished from '94. I see on my VIN plate that mine was made in May of '94 if that makes it qualify, but there are no cut outs on my rear bumper if thats what to look for. But then the PO told me it had suffered a couple rear ender accidents, you wouldn't know by looking though. The reason I ask though is because I'm still trying to budget for the whole exhaust system and want to know which muffler with which tips to purchase. Thanks in advance.

The 93-94 1/2 model years typically had no cutouts.

Members online

No members online now.
Back