New engine.. 3.9l..What to do??

Stinkinlinkn

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello LVC,.
New member looking for advice..I recently purchased a beautiful 01 Ls8 sport. With 119k miles .Unfortunately the engine was not properly maintenance and was failed when I purchased. The original owner had the car sitting in garage for 5 years in this condition. So long story short im replacing the 3.9l to get this old girl running again. Would you guys offer any advice on what to do the the engine itself or car prior or during the engine replacement. The replacement engine has 40k miles from a reputable shop locally. Just looking for some advice on freshing up the motor or car transmission ect. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180221_172808.jpg
    IMG_20180221_172808.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 253
if it was my car/engine, Id pull the front cover off of the car and check the timing chain tensioners, if they are not the updated style, then I would replace them while the engine is out of the car

if it was my car/engine, Id pull the front cover off of the car and check the timing chain tensioners, if they are not the updated style, then I would replace them while the engine is out of the car
Thanks I did purchase a set of new style or upgrade tensioners and chains for secondary timing for upper cam timing. As you suggested I should probably do the same with the primary timing since the engine is already out... Thanks for the suggestion

Also be certain the replacement engine is a post May 2001 built engine or even a 2002. Pre May 2001 your buying the bad timing chain design and likely to end up where the original engine went.

The differences are multiple, down to different pans and pumps on the redesign. Replacing the tensionors on the top just band aids the worst part of the flaw - albeit it is the most easy and cheapest.

Also be certain the replacement engine is a post May 2001 built engine or even a 2002. Pre May 2001 your buying the bad timing chain design and likely to end up where the original engine went.

The differences are multiple, down to different pans and pumps on the redesign. Replacing the tensionors on the top just band aids the worst part of the flaw - albeit it is the most easy and cheapest.
Roger that, I just confirmed from seller the engine is a 2002. I will certainly check the serial number and hopes to match it up with a VIN to verify the doner vehicle. Is there any significant difference on the engine itself to identify Pre or Post May 2001 or 2002 engine? If it is the redesign should I still order the replacement parts ie: tensioners and guides.

If the replacement is rebuilt, it should have current chains and tensionors on it. If not, it may behoove you to pull the valve covers to 1) check the top tensionors for cracks and 2) confirm it is a 2002 which would have the right pieces. Replace valve cover gaskets from Christophers Foreign Auto Parts if you do (not fords, they leak his is jag). I am not a mech, but having mine redone by mine, I know that you can tell the 2002 by it uses an 'over-under' chain (4 pieces per link) vs a bike chain (2 pieces per link) I think you could probably also then see if the oil pump at the bottom has 2 little squirt nozzles to spray the lower sprocket. Thats one of the redesign changes. No nozzles, not a later version. The final visual cue is the 2002 did not have this big fist size bulk of metal (balancer?) on the front of its cams. Basically that large sprocket had a lot of space in front of it under that big front bubbled area of the valve cover. Gen 2 picked up a vvt sprocket to sit in that space.

Last edited:
IMG_20180424_215814.jpg
Planning on buying this complete kit from Chris foreign auto parts. At only $365.00 seems like a solid investment as I plan to keep this vehicle for the long term. I already have new COP's and plugs . Is there a recommendation for engine oil type and weight for all year drivability. Also gear or transmission fluid. I have driven this vehicle before transmission was smooth and constant though the drive. Would it be advisable to just top off or drain and replace the trans fluid or should I leave good enough alone?.

If the engine is a true 2002 version this is the one your need.

FORD THUNDERBIRD L,V8 2002-06 TIMING CHAIN KIT,EVERYTHING

Call Chris before order though, he is a good guy and I am pretty sure the one you have picture has the pre may bike chain style in it. But the rest are upgrades like he says. Main thing is figuring out which of the two versions is the engine your getting.

Your other questions you can find many threads here discussing for answers, but for the most part use whats recommended in owners manual.

Key things though:

Make sure battery is the right one with vent tube in place and intalled - serious safety issue.

Transmission is below 50k, so you shouldn't need to worry. But due to age I would suggest before 75k do a fluid maintenance with a valve body rebuild to ensure lasting 15 years.

Thanks for your reply I will certainly contact Chris in regards to to what's needed to order. I have picked up the engine, I believe it is a 2002+ upgraded type as the primary timing has the over-under 4 loop style chain. While the upper or secondary chains are Bike style the tensioners are not broken or cracked. In addition to that the cam sprocket has no balancer attached, with that said I believe I have the updated engine which is great news. I will call Chris and order what's need to refresh the timing components and gaskets set.

Members online

Back