New Cone Filter/Awsome

pbslmo

Lincoln LS rules
Reaction score
Just received the cone filter from Ken and I couldn't believe the sound. Awsome! At first, it sounded like I had an exhaust leak, but it is actually more air being drawn into the intake.

My only question is that when I first start on the car, it reves higher than before, then slowly comes down. Is this normal? Did I need to disconnect the battery to reset the computer? Any help would be welcome. (I did check the tech articles first)

You should disconnect the battery to let the computer re-adjust to the new air intake.

pbslmo said:
Just received the cone filter from Ken and I couldn't believe the sound. Awsome! At first, it sounded like I had an exhaust leak, but it is actually more air being drawn into the intake.
That sound could have been achieved by removing the snorkel on the stock airbox. I tried it and put it back on because i dont want my Lincoln to sound like an old Chevy Nova.

Fla02LS said:
That sound could have been achieved by removing the snorkel on the stock airbox. I tried it and put it back on because i dont want my Lincoln to sound like an old Chevy Nova.
What? Chevy Nova? That's a little extreme and it doesn't sound like that. The reason is because of the open filter pulling in more air and hearing the sucking noise.

Fla02LS said:

Yeah im not sure where you're getting that, i think the engine sounds wonderful with my KKM and stainless intake from Ken.

Hey Ken, Is there a stainless intake tube available for the 03+ v6? I want to get the KKM intake but would also like to get rid of the stock intake tube since it has some odd shaped pieces attached to it after the MAS.

thanks for any input,
n8

n8bachelor said:
Hey Ken, Is there a stainless intake tube available for the 03+ v6? I want to get the KKM intake but would also like to get rid of the stock intake tube since it has some odd shaped pieces attached to it after the MAS.

thanks for any input,
n8
We haven't looked at making a tube for the KKM units since K&N has the entire set up. We may look at making a short tube out of aluminum early next year. That would be for teh 03 and up V6's and V8's with the KKM set up.

GrayGhost1 said:
What? Chevy Nova? That's a little extreme and it doesn't sound like that. The reason is because of the open filter pulling in more air and hearing the sucking noise.
I have a k&n drop in filter and while i was putting it in i decided to remove the snorkel just to see if it changed anything. It was loud. Sounded like an old carburated V8. I would assume the kkm is even more extreme.

Yeah im not sure where you're getting that, i think the engine sounds wonderful with my KKM and stainless intake from Ken.
Honestly, i dont wanna "hear" my engine. I think thats why the airbox is the way it is. Its a luxury vehicle and i dont care to hear the intake. To me, very non-lincoln. But hey, what the hell, some of you even throw on aftermarket exhaust to sound louder. Thats not me, dont care for my car to sound like something its not.

GrayGhost1 said:
We haven't looked at making a tube for the KKM units since K&N has the entire set up. We may look at making a short tube out of aluminum early next year. That would be for teh 03 and up V6's and V8's with the KKM set up.

Will the K&N set up work for my v6? I was under the impression that it was only for the v8 since it was made to fit the 3.9L Thunderbird. If it will work on my v6 I am sold.

n8

n8bachelor said:
Will the K&N set up work for my v6? I was under the impression that it was only for the v8 since it was made to fit the 3.9L Thunderbird. If it will work on my v6 I am sold.

n8
Unfortunately, K&N doesn't make the setup for the V6.

Fla02LS said:
I have a k&n drop in filter and while i was putting it in i decided to remove the snorkel just to see if it changed anything. It was loud. Sounded like an old carburated V8. I would assume the kkm is even more extreme.

Honestly, i dont wanna "hear" my engine. I think thats why the airbox is the way it is. Its a luxury vehicle and i dont care to hear the intake. To me, very non-lincoln. But hey, what the hell, some of you even throw on aftermarket exhaust to sound louder. Thats not me, dont care for my car to sound like something its not.
You are right that the reason the airbox and the air baffles are there is to quite the engine down but it robs power. You have to sacrifice one for the other unfortunately.

I don't notice a difference in sound until I'm gettin on it. And when I'm on it, well, the noise is music to the ears.

I personally like to take off a little hard so the car will go abit in first without shifting, but not hard enough to here it...then mash it. It skips the lag of the noise and just grunts right when you mash it. Moves like he11 too.

Fla02LS said:

Okay so you like your engine quiet, I can understand that.
But I'd like to know what you think your LS since it is obvious that you don't consider it a Domestic Euro-styled Sports Sedan?

I don't want my car to be deafening, even the higher end BMW's, Audi's and Mecedes sedans make some noise when you put it to the wood.

Yea. Fla02LS is just an old grouch with very conflicting opinions. I've got flowmasters on my LS because I wanted it to sound different, and that is exactly what the LS is, different.

Does it matter what size the nut and bolts are used to attach the K&N airfilter. Mine did not come with hardware and wanted to know before i get something.

I would like a tube to replace the entire assembly so I can get rid of all those walrus snouts that hang off the factory tube.

fudgedelic said:

If you think that is wonderful, try putting the magnaflow exhaust on it.

StinkinLinkinLS01 said:
Yea. Fla02LS is just an old grouch with very conflicting opinions. I've got flowmasters on my LS because I wanted it to sound different, and that is exactly what the LS is, different.
I am not a grouch, but just make sure to STAY OFF MY LAWN. Seriously though the car stock makes a good enough growl when you hammer it, i just cant see someone wanting it louder. Maybe the 00-02 arent as loud or something, i dont know. But for a luxury car the sound is fine to me.

Members online

Back