New codes and no throttle/accelerator

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
so I’ve progressed from P0171 and P0174 to P2195 and P2197. I had put in a new hose from the air intake to the connector to the brake booster and PCV.

I was looking to see if there were cracks or leaks. I noticed the connection to the brake booster wobbled a bit. Then I started the car and tried to rev the engine and no response from the accelerator.

Any more thoughts?

In park right? Did you give it enough time to respond? (2nd gen throttle is very delayed in park or neutral)

The brake booster vacuum connection should be movable.

Ugh, I’m an idiot!!! Yes, accelerator works. Just still have a vacuum leak coming from this area with the culprit being the hose to the PCV valve. Do I have to get the whole harness or can the individual hoses be replaced?

Also my short term fuel trim is all over the map....14, 22, as high as 35. Should be under 10, right?

And, how do I get to the PCV connector? There are a significant amount of wire s attached to a harness. I presume that comes off...

AB5B80FC-6B7D-4E18-BB64-6161668D3769.jpeg

Last edited:
Lets be clear here. That is not a PCV valve. The V8 has no PCV valve.

The valve in question is for vacuum supply to the brake booster. At high engine vacuum (idle, deceleration, ...) it sends vacuum from the engine to the booster. At low engine vacuum (acceleration, WOT, ...) it sends vacuum from high speed air movement across a venturi on the intake in front of the throttle to the booster.

Ford calls it a one way valve assembly. Part number F7CZ-2365-CA, but listed as not available. You can still get the hose assembly with the valve in it (you probably need all the hoses by now anyway). Part number 3W4Z-9C490-BM. Should be about $33.

If I remember correctly, there are two nuts that hold the wire harness on the back of the manifold. One facing up that has to be removed completely, and one facing the rear of the car that only have to be loosened. Then lift and push back on the harness holder. Sounds easier than it actually is.

Thank you so much!!! I can now hear a hiss from the hose that connects to the back of the engine And having fits trying to figure out what it connects to.

I am ordering the entire assembly right now!

Thanks again.

I have my new vacuum supply ordered, it should be here Tuesday.

I think I found the area of the hose that is leaking and put some duct tape on it as a short term measure til my replacement comes. I have been reading up on fuel trims (short and long term). Below is a link to an article that seemed to explain things well.

My short term fuel trim was up are 25% and my long term had gone to 30% and that is what threw the codes (at least that is what the log had showed). With my duct taped hose, my short term trims were in the low single digits both positive and negative, e.g. -3.1% (rich) to 3.5% (lean). These values have my long term fuel trim in the high teens (18-19%) to low 20s.

Am I understanding this correctly that these levels shouldn't throw any codes. It is when the long term gets over 25% or so that the P0171/P0174 codes are thrown. When your short term gets really high, 25% or so and up, the P2195/P2197 codes get thrown?

I am trying to understand how the system works rather than just "tell me how to fix it".

Thanks

What are fuel trims all about?

My manifold vacuum/brake booster hoses came yesterday and I got them in. What a pain getting to the manifold breather tube at the back of the manifold.

I had the battery disconnected while I installed the hoses...probably about an hour total. I think that gave the computer time enough for the long term fuel trims to reset. Everything seems to be working great now.

Thanks Joe!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back