New challenge for you all

grizzlyls

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So most of you know I am chasing the old gen 1 timing chain issue so I can live easy with this car. I have tried to track this through the dealers, but they are all clueless or obnoxious.

Diagram for reference: http://www.fordpartscanada.ca/auto-...m/3-9l-v8-gas-engine/engine-cat/oil-pump-scat

Here's what I know. The oil pump everywhere for any year is listed as the 2w9z series. But if you search, the original Xw4z is exactly like the jag's and is the bad design. My car has that old jag one I believe. The Crankshaft gear has notes for the build date, but the one I need hasnt been around for years since they discontinued it with the 2w9z. All the uppers went to 1w4z BEFORE my build date, and I have those new. I believe since they reference the oil pump as right for this year to replace, that you can also use the 2w9z oil pickup - since the old pickup looks like it would go to the wrong spot on the 2w9z pump.

SO the big question is, why wouldnt I be able to use the 2w9z crankshaft gear? I do know that Christopher is selling the old style gear which comes from jag, but at 145 apiece that is insane. Huge profit for someone. The crankshaft never changed, the rest of the system including chains, thensionors, guides etc is all the later years, and we all have interchanged pieces of that. Can anyone get me a source to confirm that this gear will work.

I am wanting to do this so I can go to my mech, or any dealer with confidence (and the parts) and say 'giter done!'

I can confirm that the oil pickup is *different* between the Gen 1 Early (no squirters) and Gen 2 Late (with squirters) oil pumps.

You may be on your own for the gear though.

Well, update. Spoke to local dealer and the Service Manager took me back into the shop to talk to his lead engine tech. Explained how its impossible to get the pre may 2001 gears unless we go jag imported. I felt from all I see that it would be better and cheaper (per se) to replace the oil pump system and put in 2nd gen gears. I told him I just could not confirm there was any difference since no TSB. Tech said it should not be a problem at all.

SO it looks like I am off to get the timing chains and pump upgraded so there will be no concern on that end. Waiting to see what they want in labor, but mech stated 10 hours for chains alone, which is real good (11 warranty quoted once) so if we can come in around $1500 labor will pull the trigger.

Will keep you updated.

Members online

No members online now.
Back