new beep in cabin soon after car starts

jokken

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

what do you think this beep sound is for?
20170705_voicedata.wav

I have had the car 17 years. It just started happening last summer. didn't happen over the winter and now has started again this summer.

it only happens when the car is hot inside the cabin, and I've just started it. Like after work when the car has been in the sun all day. It seems to be the same beep that occurs when the engine/coolant is overheating. But the temp gauge is near C still and the car has only been running for 1 minute, so it can't be that.

I believe it is a 5 beep set then it stops for a few seconds and starts again for 5 beeps. porbably about 5 sets in total.

...I believe it is a 5 beep set then it stops for a few seconds and starts again for 5 beeps. porbably about 5 sets in total.

Apart from this being posted a number of times, it is also actually in your owner's manual. It's the SRS fault warning. It's triggered when there is a problem with the SRS and the SRS can't confirm that the SRS warning light is working.

Any difficulty with the system is indicated by one or more of the
following:
• The readiness light will either
flash or stay lit
• The readiness light will not
illuminate immediately after
ignition is turned to the RUN position
A series of five beeps will be heard. The tone pattern will repeat

periodically until the problem and/or light are repaired.
If any of these things happen, even intermittently, have the SRS serviced
at an authorized dealer immediately. Unless serviced, the system may not
function properly in the event of a collision.

Safety Restraint System = SRS

Including, seat belt and seat occupant sensors.

Was just typing out what SRS stands for.

ah sorry guys. i shoulda searched for it before posting. honestly it was such a strange, intermittent thing to me i didn't expect it to be posted before. My airbag light has been on for sometime now. i don't think it corresponds to when the beeping started, but I am glad to learn it is a symptom of a problem I already know I have and not something new. : )

thanks for the advice

(now i'll search SRS issues and not ask what you think the issue could be)
: )

(now i'll search SRS issues and not ask what you think the issue could be)
: )

If your SRS light is still working, then when you first start the car, it will flash out a two digit code for whatever the worst problem is. A good scan tool can pull more detailed codes. You didn't say what year your LS is. If it is a 1st gen, then my wild guesses would be the wiring to the driver's seat airbag or the clockspring. That said, better to diagnose than to guess.

Had to have my drivers seat wiring replaced under warranty in my Gen1. Harness was damaged at the Wixom factory during seat installation. Common Gen1 issue.

The repeating warning chime is incredibly annoying. Hope you get it resolved soon.

thanks guys for the info. it looks like I have a 32 code flashing. which other threads seems to indicate is the clock spring. my mechanic has a good snap-on scan tool so I may see what his diag says. I'll also look under the seat at the wire harness.
yes it is a Gen1 (2000 5spd, i have had it 17 years :) )
the chime fortunately isn't so annoying to me since it only happens once a week maybe, and stops in a few minutes of driving...
thanks

Flash-out DTC 3-2, I'd have a look at the yellow connector with its pins under the rear of the drivers seat. Due to the easy entry feature, the constant forwards and backwards motion of the drivers seat, causes excessive stress on the underseat wiring. Many, including myself have resoldered this connection. Two leads. They tend to work their way loose from the pins within the connector.

The clockspring in the steering colum should also not be ruled out.

Last edited:
Btw, that's your airbag components, I'd seriously recommend you disconnect both battery terminal connections for longer then 30 minutes before mucking with them leads and connector.

Color me crazy again but airbags have a funny way of going off without notice.

GLWR

Last edited:
thanks Rigs! looks like ill be putting my head under the seat tonight...

Move the seat all the way forward, head might fit slightly better.
Clockspring shouldn't be ruled out but I'd start with connector first.

Easier said then done when on a cell ... but yes I knew that.
I was also hoping the gentleman would begin reading from the top of the page and reference #18 for the pics.

hey, who you calling a gentleman? oh, well I guess I do drive a Lincoln. : )

Which is not 'gentle' on the wallet by no means.

Members online

Back