New and used strut replacement

Rope

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi every one, I bought a new front right strut from Strutmasters about a month and a half ago for my mark VIII, I put it on my mark, it stayed up for about two week and then it start going down again, I check the left strut bag and it was leaking so I bought a used one with a new bag replacement on it, got it and put it in this weekend, while trying to tighten up the center nut the bolt came loose, trying to take the bolt out it fell in an opening in the tire well, I had to beat one of the bolt off the old strut with a hammer in order to replace it, it turn out very well. After every thing was in place, I let the car pump up, then there was an air leak coming from the strut solenoid, I could stand about five feet away and here the air rushing out, my mark wouldn't even raze up, so I went and wiggle on the solenoid and got air to stop, BUT after letting the mark sit for three hours the front it's down again, the only place where the leak is coming from is the solenoid, I have two extra solenoid and they all with the same result, I didn't think something like this would happen as far as where the air leak is coming from, that something I least expected.

What do you all think of this.
I will be glad to here some suggestion.
thank.

mespock said:
I would talk to Eddie LvC screen name (American Air-1) at American Air Suspension www.americanairsuspension.com . If Eddie can't help you then shoot the car LOL.

Well mespock this is what I did first, I give Strutmasters a call first, I don't recall who I talk to, this is what he told me to do, the guy at Strutmasters told me to used silicone sealer, I ask what kind so he tell me any kind, so I went and got Super Blue silicone gasket maker, I don't know what will happen down the road but I'll wait and see, I went and got new O-rings and the sealer from O'Reilly, put the O-rings and apply the sealer and waited for an hour, I had put a new set of O-rings and it still leak, after I had waited I start my car, I couldn't here no leak, took a long drive, now the car is sitting. I have to go to work in a half hour, so I'll let my car sit for next nine hours and see what happen. I didn't check with Americanairsuspension, I wish I did. I went did every thing before I read the article on Americanairsuspension web site, hopefully every thing will turn out good, every thind I did so far turn out good

Thank again mespock, I should of follow your advice first, it seem to me Americanairsusension have a lot of experience.

Rope said:
Well mespock this is what I did first, I give Strutmasters a call first, I don't recall who I talk to, this is what he told me to do, the guy at Strutmasters told me to used silicone sealer, I ask what kind so he tell me any kind, so I went and got Super Blue silicone gasket maker, I don't know what will happen down the road but I'll wait and see, I went and got new O-rings and the sealer from O'Reilly, put the O-rings and apply the sealer and waited for an hour, I had put a new set of O-rings and it still leak, after I had waited I start my car, I couldn't here no leak, took a long drive, now the car is sitting. I have to go to work in a half hour, so I'll let my car sit for next nine hours and see what happen. I didn't check with Americanairsuspension, I wish I did. I went did every thing before I read the article on Americanairsuspension web site, hopefully every thing will turn out good, every thind I did so far turn out good

Thank again mespock, I should of follow your advice first, it seem to me Americanairsusension have a lot of experience.

I have sprayed my 93's struts with silicon as I was told that it will prolong the life of the bags. Now I have springs on my 93.

If you have any questions on your air ride call Eddie. He's the best! He won't try to sell you his products he will try to help your problem.

Eddie sells OME parts, They are the best but cost more than the after market struts you get from Strutmasters. I have put Strutmaster's struts on my 85 Mark VII and was happy, but I didn't drive them long before I sold my 85, so I don't know how long they will last. If you can't afford Eddie's then I would not hesitate buying from Strutmaster.

I purchased my conversion from Strutmaster and I am happy with the product so far.

Good Luck, remember Eddie is the key to finding out what's wrong with your system.

mespock said:
I have sprayed my 93's struts with silicon as I was told that it will prolong the life of the bags. Now I have springs on my 93.

If you have any questions on your air ride call Eddie. He's the best! He won't try to sell you his products he will try to help your problem.

Eddie sells OME parts, They are the best but cost more than the after market struts you get from Strutmasters. I have put Strutmaster's struts on my 85 Mark VII and was happy, but I didn't drive them long before I sold my 85, so I don't know how long they will last. If you can't afford Eddie's then I would not hesitate buying from Strutmaster.

I purchased my conversion from Strutmaster and I am happy with the product so far.

Good Luck, remember Eddie is the key to finding out what's wrong with your system.

On the way home from work I was thinking about my mark, thinking is it still standing or not, got home I went strait to my mark and she was still standing, the only thing left to do is driving, time will tell either my mark stays up or go down and that is something I have to wait and see, so if a problem develops I now know who to talk to.

Rope said:
On the way home from work I was thinking about my mark, thinking is it still standing or not, got home I went strait to my mark and she was still standing, the only thing left to do is driving, time will tell either my mark stays up or go down and that is something I have to wait and see, so if a problem develops I now know who to talk to.

Quick questions you did turn off the air ride switch in the back?

If not your car will continue to pump up the air bags even if the car is not running.

If you have done the test correct great and let's hope for a cheap and easy solution! Those are the best :Beer

Good Luck!

mespock said:
Quick questions you did turn off the air ride switch in the back?

If not your car will continue to pump up the air bags even if the car is not running.

If you have done the test correct great and let's hope for a cheap and easy solution! Those are the best :Beer

Good Luck!

Mann! I didn't turn the switch off , I feel stupid but I'll do just that before I go to work to day and let you know what happen. I went and check for leak, if there is any I couldn't find it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back