New and looking for some answers

SammyOne

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm considering buying a 2nd gen Lincoln Navigator this winter but have some questions before I decide. I hope this is the place for answers. (I've read this forum sub-section.) I currently drive an '04 Chevy (S10 based) Blazer. Decent enough truck but it's getting a little long in the tooth so it's time for something in better condition. I've never had a "luxury" vehicle so I've concentrated my search on more luxury oriented trucks (I've always been a truck/SUV guy). I don't go off road but we DO get plenty of snow in northern Indiana.

1) Are there any 2nd gen Navigator issues I should be aware of/avoid? It seems there are multiple (and very expensive) air suspension issues. Once I buy a new (to me) truck, I'll sell my Blazer. That should give me enough money to do a coil over conversion.

2) How many miles is "too many"?

3) Are there any rust issues? I know all vehicles get a little rust depending on where they live but some vehicles seem to be more rust prone than others. (My Blazer has lived it's entire life in Indiana and only has minimal, surface frame rust. I had a Grand Am that was an Alabama car and had more rust than metal.)

4) Is the 6 speed tranny (in the '05/'06s) better than the older 4 speed tranny? What's the difference in gas mileage? The early 2nd gens seem to be a good deal cheaper and I don't see much difference other than the tranny but if the 6 speeds are stronger/better on gas, it would be worth the extra money.

5) Any options I should avoid? Should I just look for one that's as loaded as possible?

6a) Can I add either a USB or iPod outlet to the stock stereos (while retaining the OEM steering wheel controls)? I don't own many CDs any more. Almost all my music (all 600GB!) is digital. If it's not easy to add USB or iPod, how difficult is it to swap to an aftermarket unit? Could I keep the steering wheel controls?

6b) How is the OEM navigation? Is it possible to keep it up to date? I've used plenty of Garmins with no issues, I don't travel alot but if the factory nav is a good thing, then I'd look for it.

7) What's a good price for an '03/'04 or '05/'06 (in basically perfect condition, rust free, no major scratches, everything in working condition, low-ish miles)?

Sorry for all the questions but I tend to do plenty of research before dropping $8-10k on a vehicle.

Thanks for the help.

Sammy

2) That really depends on how well the vehicle was maintained. The average answer would be just over 100K.
3) I had a '99 up until last year with zero rust issues.
4) The 6 speed transmission is superior and it should get better mileage.
5) I wouldn't worry about options being a deal breaker - most are pretty well appointed.
6b) The updates for factory navigation systems are overpriced.

Thanks, driller. I've seen quite a few '05/'06s with less than 125k for $10-12k. I've even seen a few with well under 100k. Sounds like that's what I should go for.

Members online

No members online now.
Back