new 1999 Continental owner, have a lot of questions

Daniel2

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello ...

I'm new here , and i've searched alot on the net to find a forum with Lincoln owners. I live in Europe, in Romania more exactly, and i've bought recently a 1999 Lincoln Continental. It's a very very rare car here , not in Romania, in Europe generally, so i have alot of questions to ask you guys, becouse nobody here does the service for Lincoln cars, not even the Ford dealers around , most of them dont know that Lincoln is owner by Ford ... what can i say more

here are a few pics with my car.

anyways

the car looks to work fine, it has 136.000 km , ~ 85.000+ miles but i dont know its service history. the previous owner kept the car ~ 1 year in a garage , it was a gift from someone and he run it just a few kilometeres.

for a few days i receive a message in the dash , CHECK TRANSMISION.

what should i do now ? from the owners manual i should change the transaxle oil right ? but i cant find that type of oil here in Romania. anyone knows a place were i can buy some online on the web ? or any alternatives to other type of oil ?

i would like also to change the fuel filter, the air filter and other stuff that must be changed on the regular inspection.

i had owned previous 4 BMW's, 318iS cabrio, 2 x 320 diesel and one 530dA so it wasnt any problem to find parts or to do the inspection since we have many bmw dealers around. with the american cars it's a big problem here. there aren't so much and the only US cars dealer here is Chrysler/Jeep that does the servicing for those cars.

please help.

oh, one more thing

i've noticed yesterday morning when i was waiting for the engine to heat a little, that from the Vehicle handling menu , the 3rd setting of the suspension , the "FIRM" has gone. i only can set PLUSH and NORMAL. what happend people ?

sorry for my poor english :(

looking for people who can help :) please do it, no one else here in my country can :)

thanks. i'm also interested for a Car Bra if is any for Continental, i couldnt find any exact link on Google...

the headlights are very very poor , they really need some HIDs asap + some new brake pads, the brakes are way too soft , comparing them to the ones i had on my bimmers before.

Daniel2 said:
Hello ...

for a few days i receive a message in the dash , CHECK TRANSMISION.

what should i do now ? from the owners manual i should change the transaxle oil right ? but i cant find that type of oil here in Romania. anyone knows a place were i can buy some online on the web ? or any alternatives to other type of oil ?

i would like also to change the fuel filter, the air filter and other stuff that must be changed on the regular inspection.

i've noticed yesterday morning when i was waiting for the engine to heat a little, that from the Vehicle handling menu , the 3rd setting of the suspension , the "FIRM" has gone. i only can set PLUSH and NORMAL. what happend people ?

sorry for my poor english :(

looking for people who can help :) please do it, no one else here in my country can :)
welcome to LVC.

I havn't had the check tran... light but if i you want to change the fluid, get the Mercon V. Call your local ford dealer and see which fluid they use. They should use Mercon V.

For the firm setting, you can't have your steering on low and your suspension on firm. Change your steering to normal and you will be able to select your firm setting again.

tell me if you have more question and I will see If I know any of them.

well i remember that last night went i went to town , i had the steering on normal , i keep this always on normal , and the FIRM one still didnt appeared on the dash. i will disconnect the battery today for a few mins to reset the computer and check again the setting.

thanks anyways !

thanks Mark. somehow the steering as you said was set on LOW :) , i set it to NORMAL and the FIRM suspension setting appeared :)

Daniel2 said:
thanks Mark. somehow the steering as you said was set on LOW :) , i set it to NORMAL and the FIRM suspension setting appeared :)
Thats good. So did you find about the tranny fluid from ford?

yes. I've found on the net the Mercon V, tomorrow I will call at official Ford dealer in Bucharest to see if the mechanics can help me out to change it for me. If i have a positive answer, i will order the fuel as soon as they can help me :) i will keep you informed :)

i have called today at Ford and they said it's ok! they will handle the service part for me , and , beside that, they will take care to order the parts i need and replace them ! i should do the service after the new year party ... there are too many people on the service list right now :)

i hope the car will work fine untill then. i will show you the total costs here after the service :)

thanks guys.

one more thing. can i disassembly (or what's the spelling:) ) my headlights ? my left headlight seems a little "dirty" on the inside, and i've wanted to clean the inside part of the glass/plastic or what it is.

can i do that ?

Dismounting a headlight is the easiest thing You can do.
Pull off 2 metal hooks that appear on top of the healight and lamp is lose. Finally pull it forward and You'r done

Congrads on the 99 Conti. I just got the 2000 Conti and the 1st day i brought it home the check transmission notice came on. THANK GOG FOR COVERAGE.. I took the car back to the dealer and they had it checked out and it turned out to be the Torque Converter in the transmission going bad. Needless to say they decided on not only putting in an all new Torque Converter but also gave me an all new transmission with a longer warranty. So beware it might not be the transmission oil but could be something dealing in the converter for the trans itself.

100_0773.JPG

side shot.JPG

100_0775.JPG

Members online

No members online now.
Back