Neon tail lamp died

LSC CE 82

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
It was a sad day for my Mark. The neon tail lamp is dying. It works for about 5 minutes then shuts off. Seems to come back on if you turn the lights on and off. Another odd thing is it gest brighter if you lock or unlock the doors. I suppose I'm screwed. That was one of the coolest things about my car. The neon tail lamp and wicked bright brake lamp. :(

So tonight the light was fine. Had a friend follow me around for 10 miles, neon worked the way it should. One thing I forgot to mention is that I noticed this acting up when the car was being run through a car wash. Would moisture lean toward any one of these problems. I'm not skilled at all with wiring, but I'll try to find the pigtail and make sure the connection is good. Lownslow, have you done this procedure? thanks FOR THE HELP. fyi my lamp isn't broken, looks clean. no broken glass or moisture in it.

I've had a glitch ballast in my parts bin since 07 but haven't had to use it yet. I have replaced mine with a factory unit though (Free, otherwise I would've used the new one).

To check it all you have to do is pop the trunk, remove the 3-4 plastic push pins and fold the cover down part way. You will then see the pigtail and separate ground bolted to the deck lid. Give it all a good once over while checking for any obv damage or corrosion. Iirc, the wiring on the left trunk hinge can also cause some ballast issues (Checked for frayed wiring).

Last edited:
So tonight the light was fine. Had a friend follow me around for 10 miles, neon worked the way it should. One thing I forgot to mention is that I noticed this acting up when the car was being run through a car wash. Would moisture lean toward any one of these problems. I'm not skilled at all with wiring, but I'll try to find the pigtail and make sure the connection is good. Lownslow, have you done this procedure? thanks FOR THE HELP. fyi my lamp isn't broken, looks clean. no broken glass or moisture in it.

Yes, moisture is one if the top reasons the ballast goes bad. It sounds like yours isn't there yet, but could be soon. Besides looking at the wiring, I would look for moisture inside the light generally shows up as black lines horizontal. Take the precaution to drill a couple of holes in the light to act as drains. You can do that with the light still on the car. Pick the low spots in the corners and just drill a small 1/16 to 1/8 hole in each one.

The wiring runs from the light up the drivers side. You will see the wiring near the trunk hinge. Look for fraying there. If you don't see anything the light will have to come off so you can inspect the wires from the ballast to the bulb.

I've had quite a few used neons through the years and one thing I've noticed on a few is that the high voltage wires that come out of the ballast and go into the corners of the housing to the ends of the neon tube have cracked insulation and you end up with bare wires. I don't know if it's heat that burns up the insulation and kills the ballast or if it's the other way around (bad ballast causes the heat). Anyway, those should be shrink wrapped for sure and also some silicone at the grommets where they enter the housing, as I suspect that's where water gets in sometimes. It probably won't fix your problem, but if you install a new ballast it's something to check.

I think I found my problem. The lower molding of my neon had somehow shifted ans overlapped the right tail lamp. The left bottom of the neon was open, because the molding wasn't covering it anymore. I did have water in the neon. I dryed it out, repositioned the molding and it seems fine. I wonder if the lamp got soaked in the car wash.... who knows. All has been well for a few days now. Today it rained on the car, and it was still fine.

My neon died out over the last week, it started out just being able to refuted after lights off and on, but now its slap out. Anyone know what an inverter runs?

Ps I do have the black moisture /mold lines

Members online

No members online now.
Back