Need to replace starter in my 93, what tools and which car is easiest to salvage?

bobotech

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of money these days. I need to replace the starter in my 93 so I can start using it.

I am going to go to my local pick it yourself yard and grab a starter off of another car for my 93.

I went to the compatibility page for the starter at Orielly Auto Parts for my starter and it shows that I can use a starter off of Crown Vics, Mustang GT, Thunderbird (duh), Town Car, Grand Marquis, and Cougars. Also the 97 Ford F150-250 base with the 4.6 has the same starter.

Which one of those cars would be the easiest to grab a starter from while at the yard? I have a handicapped foot so I can't be out in the yard for long which is why I'm trying to find something that I can grab quickly.

I was going to bring my exhaust pipe cutter in case I can just cut off the exhuast to make the removal easy and quick.

I would guess an f150-250...tons of room in a truck engine bay and underneath to get your hands in there

Any truck will be easiest to remove the starter from.
You'll need a 10mm,+ (12mm,13mm) (depending on the battery connections nut), 3"-6" extension, ratchet
I always take my 1/4 ratchet set to the yard, because you don't know who else has been playing with the car you're scavenging from. Maybe the "mechanic" used a different bolt to secure something.

Don't forget to disco your neg batt cable before you begin removing your starter :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back