Need to know how to remove upper intake and why is there oil in there?

cwhorley

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My cooling part replacement problem has branched into a new issue. Can anyone give me tips on the best procedure for removing the upper intake on an 05 V8? Also, should there be oil inside there? There is in mine.

When I tried to remove mine (05 V8) it seemed as if something in the rear of the manifold was hung up. I couldnt get a hand or anything back there nor could I find any information about a hold down ect on the rear of the manifold, if you figure it out Id really like to know, thanks. Id imagine the oil being from the PCV.

The thing holding it down in the back is most likely the engine wiring harness retainer nut. There are apparently 2 of them. I removed the one on top but can't get to the one on the back.

I know I'm jumping around on this but on the oil in the intake thing it's coming in through the pcv system. This can't be good for the ignition system. Is there a fix for this? That much oil in the air has probably already started fouling my plugs. Am I off base?

Another update. The last nut on the engine wiring harness retainer can apparently only be accessed by removing the cowl cover and strut tower brace. Otherwise you can't get a tool on the nut. I'm floored. I'm reverting back now to the question, is there any real danger in just putting the intake bolts back in and not replacing the intake manifold gaskets?

The old gaskets are probably fine. You'll know soon enough if they aren't. It will stumble or run rough if unmetered air is making it into the engine through a vacuum leak at the intake. Leaks can be found pretty easily in some cases. Post up if you have issues after you get it running.

The oil in the intake is probably no big deal. All modern cars have the crankcase ventilation run into the intake track. Since blowby is a normal byproduct of internal combustion engines, it is normal to find some in the intake track. It eventually/continually makes it into the combustion chamber on all engines. The PCV system was one of the earliest emissions
control components.

Too big a deal is made over oil usage online. It takes a lot of oil usage to cause issues. I'm talking a quart every tank or so. It is a huge deal if you are too stupid to check/add the oil as needed, and it would piss me off to have to add lots of oil to a new $30,000 car, but a quart every few thousand miles wouldn't bother me. I've added over 100 quarts of oil to my 97 F-150 over the last 150,000 miles (currently has 335,000 miles). At a quart every 1000 ish miles, there have been zero ill effects, but it gets checked and topped off as needed. The catalitic converters are original as are 2 of 4 O2 sensors. Those were changed due to failed internal heaters.

Thanks guys. I got it all back together and it's a mess. I'm getting a misfire on cyl 1 and 5 and a random misfire on all cylinders(P300). I'm guessing I'm getting unmetered air in from the intake. It must no have sealed completely. If I get over 1500 rpms it stutters really bad. Any other suggestions before I pull everything apart again? I know I have to remove the strut tower brace and cowl cover to get to the one nut holding the wiring harness. I was trying to avoid all that for now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back