need to completely redo my rear brakes

87TTOPGT420

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Cobra/mach 1 front brakes and are in there finishing stages just waiting for pads and rotors to come in this afternoon and gotta paint calipers finally upgrading from the undersized 99-04 base/gt brakes I installed when I originally did my hub swap

But the rears they need some serious attention like full on replacement pads rotors and calipers currently are using 12" rotors and home made relocation brackets...heres the question can I just use reman cobra rear calipers etc as my relocations brackets are not the best and I need calipers anyways or what else can I do I have a set of 99-04 mustang rear calipers and brackets can I use those brakes instead? Keep in mind car is hub swapped

The rear spindals are differnt on the cobras allowing them to run bigger rotors. Plus the marks rear calipers are better then the mustang/cobra calipers because they have more clamping force.

not exactly what i want to hear...

are the relocation brackets still available? I have a good set of mark viii calipers and brackets i kept as spares...i have no problem installing them, i just want to make sure there mount evenly and my pads wil wear correctly

not sure, but i am pretty sure the parking brake won't work anymore. hooks up different. dunno if that's a problem for you.

idk if they are "better" calipers, but the mark does have a bigger piston and bigger pad. probably has to do more with brake bias than anything else.

here. from sccoa. circa 2009.

DLF said:
Dave,

The parking brake cable comes out in the opposite direction, and the swept area of the pad is actually smaller. And the offset and caliper bolt pattern isn't quite the same, you'd have to design your own relocation brackets.

I looked at it in 2000 when I first did the article, and again a few months ago, it's not really feasible.

Regards,

also. these are good looking pieces.

Brake%20brackets.JPG

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120811

looks like i need these....maybe ill take a second run at improving on mine...fronts first then back but cant complain all in im $380 for a complete cobra front brake conversion

What good is a 13" rotor if only a small portion of the pad actually contacts it

But on the other hand I have way more confidence in my brakes cannot wait to get the rears done now

actually, a smaller pad will not affect clamping force. but it will generate more heat.

force is pressure times area.
since the force from the caliper is a constant, the result of a smaller area pad is more pressure.
it all works out.

a porsche 914 has pads about an inch square in area. it is a super light car, but it will out-stop everything ever with those tiny pads.

Members online

No members online now.
Back