Need to adapt down to 2.00 stock piping-Exhaust Question

wade0731

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I have access to a welder and a lift, so I could weld my exhaust for free. I want to put this muffler on, but it doesn't come in 2.00" which is the size of my stock exhaust : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-11379?seid=srese1&gclid=CIH2-d-Ygb0CFUdk7Aod-1UAaw

It is 2.5", so what kind of an adapter would I need? Also if I cut the back two mufflers off, put pipes in place where they were, cut the resonators off and put the new dual in dual out muffler where the resonators are, would it fit there?

Would this work for the adapters from stock exhaust to new muffler? : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-41960/overview/

I have on 02 V8 LS.

I wouldn't try to use adapters as regardless of how you want to do it, it's going to kick your arse trying to keep the pipes from rattling. I would simply slot the short muffler pipes at the bottoms or lower outside (where easiest to weld back together) and temporarily clamp them around the existing pipes. Tack each joint at three places so it doesn't move, then drop the pipes off the hangers to get clearance at the top. Weld the circumference and the overlap at the slot.

Your muffler may or may not fit there but I'd be more concerned about getting the existing pipes to match the mufflers opening width and not rattling.

I got my exhaust done after I saw this video..and I was able to duplicate his setup with taking out the resonators..and running 2.5 from the manifolds all the way back...no rattle..no raspiness. I think the x-pipe and high flow cats might be an option you want to explore too. I'm very pleased with the exhaust sound since the changes were made.

The 2-inch pipe is very restrictive and will reduce your airflow..which of course will affect the sound and performance that you might be expecting. Because of the costs...I did my changes in pieces so I could afford it...and I definitely could feel the difference from work day one..to the completed work at the end.

Actually two 2.5" pipes is too big for a < 300 hp engine. Two 2.5" pipes is good for @ 400 hp. I should have done mine in 2.25 as I felt I lost some torque after I did mine in 2.5" with mandrel bends.

Too large a pipe for the HP gains sound while losing power. Stock in my '05, the 3.9 has 2.25" at the cats and necks it down to 2" from the blind connector back to the tailpipes.

I agree, too large is as bad as too small. So far as the use of adapters to get the size correct, there is nothing wrong with it and it won't cause rattles unless the adapters are CLAMPED. If welded in, the adapters can't rattle unless the welding is crappy.

On the sizing, 2 inch should be fine for the LS V8. I'm using 2.25 non-mandrel duals on my 4.8L and it works fine. No restrictions, no loss of low end torque. My 4.8 makes, well made, more HP and TQ than my LS. Going to have to put a larger system in though, looking at replacing the 4.8 with a 6.0. When I do, going to put in 2.5 duals with a crossover.

Which would you prefer...I have the Thunderbolts..but get a CEL of efficiency every now and then...

Members online

Back