Need Tips on how to Tighten the Crank Bolt - Engine Keeps Spinning

webby88

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am trying to tighten the crank bolt pulley on my V6 3.0, but the engine starts turning before I reach the correct torque. I tried putting the belt on but it still slips.

Any ideas on how to hold the engine so that I can tighten it?

Yes, you are supposed to use a "chain" or "strap" wrench wrapped around the damper pulley.

Or wedge a pry bar against the pulley

It's a lot easier to damage it with that technique. Fortunately, the V6 damper is a reasonable price (under $100 if I recall correctly), unlike the $700 V8 damper pulley.

If you don't have a strap wrench, an old serp belt and some vice grips can be used to improvise one. It won't be as effective, but you might be able to get the bolt tight enough. Put the belt all the way around, clamp down on the belt with the vice grips with the tightening bolt side facing counterclockwise. As you tighten, the vice grips will roll back on the belt and help grip better, and will help you hold the pulley while you tighten the bolt.

If you want to use the pry bar method, screw a couple of bolts into the holes that the puller screws into and use the pry bar against these screws (assuming the LS uses the same three point puller method that every other car I've ever worked on uses). It's better than wedging the pry bar directly against the damper, especially since wedging against the damper almost always means sticking it between the pulley and the block which would affect your torque reading. I wouldn't use the puller bolts for this though, because this can bend the bolts being used and you will want them for next time the puller is used. You will also want to thread the bolts all the way through the damper, or as far as you can get them into it to keep from damaging those threads.

Thanks for all the tips guys. So I wedged a flat crowbar between the damper and the tensioner together with a buddy I was able to follow the torquing procedure.

Using the flat crowbar allowed me to apply force without compromising the torque readings. So all done, thanks!

Thanks for all the tips guys. So I wedged a flat crowbar between the damper and the tensioner together with a buddy I was able to follow the torquing procedure.

Using the flat crowbar allowed me to apply force without compromising the torque readings. So all done, thanks!

Yea yea yea!

Members online

No members online now.
Back