Need Step by Step Oil change procedure

jumpman6235

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I need someone to explain to me, as you would a 5 year old child, how do i change the oil on my 01 V6? lol, i have never done it my self before (on ANY car) and would like to start

What you need is a friend with some experience to help you the first time.

Drive the front wheels on to ramps.
Place a drain pan under the engine oil drain plug.
Remove the engine oil drain plug.
When the oil coming out is down to a small drip, replace the plug. Be careful not to cross thread it or to over or under tighten it.
Move the drain pan to under the oil filter.
Remove the oil filter.
Clean the oil filter mating surface with a paper towel. Verify that the oil filter gasket is not on the mating surface. As a double check, verify that it is on the old filter.
Wipe some oil on the gasket of the new oil filter. (Old oil that you drained is okay for this.)
Put the new oil filter on. Be careful not to over or under tighten it.
Remove engine oil fill cap.
Pour six quarts of new 5w-20 synthetic blend or full synthetic oil in the engine oil fill.
Start and run engine for a few seconds. Verify that the oil light goes off.
Add one more quart (seven quarts total) to the engine oil fill.
Put engine oil fill cap back on.
Drive off the ramps and on to a level surface.
Remove dipstick and clean it with a paper towel.
Re-insert dipstick completely, then remove. Check that oil level is correct.
Replace dipstick.
Take drained oil and filter to auto store for recycling. (alternately, hide drained oil filter in garbage can)

I need someone to explain to me, as you would a 5 year old child, how do i change the oil on my 01 V6? lol, i have never done it my self before (on ANY car) and would like to start

Are you at all mechanically inclined?

Remove oil fill cap (this will help the oil drain).

Jack up the front of the car.

Locate the drain plug on the oil pan (IIRC, it's on the right, front).

Place oil catch pan under the plug before removing.

Remove drain plug.

While the oil is draining put another oil catch "device" under the oil filter; located inwards of the left front wheel. I access it from behind the wheel.
Remove the filter; it will drain some.

After the oil finishes draining (I give it 10-15 minutes) re-install the drain plug.

Install the oil filter after spreading a little new oil on the gasket. I prefer to pre-fill the oil filter with about a half quart of oil to prevent a dry-start. Follow the tightening instructions.

Fill with 6 quarts oil, plus what's left over from filling the filter.

Start car and check for leaks.

IIRC, the OM says 6.7 quarts (or something like that) but my V6 (also the V8s) takes 7 to fill.

Sit back and be proud of your accomplishment!

Thank you so much! Im gonna head over to autozone for a filter and drain pan

Just did my first oil change a few days ago. Aside from putting the wrong oil in it was pretty simple. I say pretty simple and not extremely simple because whatever shop had installed the last filter cranked that thing on so tight I almost tore it in half removing it.

How to change oil like a boss in an LS:

1) Strap dynamite to oil pan
2) Light dynamite and stand back
3) ??????
4) Profit

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Courvoisier to attend to.

Members online

No members online now.
Back