Need some opinions: HID color temp. Please Help!

jrockcentral1

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, so after installing HIDS on my buddy's Murano without much difficulty last night, and seeing their heavenly glow, I have decided to take the plunge. (Yes, I just compared marriage to a car modification)

I think I've done enough research -including, you'll be happy to know, the SEARCH function ;) - to buy a kit (Ebay style, sorry college bound and $-less).

So while I search for a reasonably priced kit with a warranty and top -dollar quailty :rolleyes: ... or something close anyway; I though I'd put one HID Q I haven't A'd: What color temp should I get, 6000K or 8000K?

Some background: Some of my int. lights are blue, and my fogs have a blue tint to them. Also, I recently installed a 6000K Angel Eye kit (pics shortly, when she's clean for a visual aid). Finally, I'm good for DMV inspection for 2 years, just got it done today actually.

Any opinions, insights, or horror stories of :q:q:q:qty kits to stay away from are ALWAYS welcome :D

ive heard you will get LESS light with the 6000k, I would go for the super white or something near that

By Super white you mean 4300K? My friend's where 6000K and they seemed really bright, but I didn't really have anything side by side to compare it to. I'll have to look into it, do you remember where you heard that?

With a color temperature around 4300 (or right in the neighborhood) you will have the most amount of light. From there the higher the number you go, the less actual light there will be.

2339562_66_full.jpg

8000k all the way highs lows and fogs :D

I have 8k, but I think they are too blue, get 6ks or 4.3. Later ones are about the same as those on the BMWs.

DSC04435.jpg

ive heard you will get LESS light with the 6000k, I would go for the super white or something near that

No offense but that info is wrong. The lower the number Kelvin (K) the more light output. Therefore 4300K has more light than a 12K. I would stick around the 6 or 8K. I have the digital kit from LSK and its a 6K and I am happy with it.

I have done quite a few HID kits/projector retrofits, and without a doubt go 4300K. Anything with a higher kelvin will be less light output and look too blue (plus it is obvious and everyone knows its a fake "kit" if its too blue).
All cars equipped with HIDs from the factory use 4300K bulbs.

I have many sets of brand new NAIS D2S/D2R high quality ballasts, as well as brand new Philips D2S 4300K HID bulbs if anyone is interested. I can even beat eBay prices on the philips bulbs...$27 for a single bulb or $49 for a pair. PM if interested

As has been said, definitely 4300k. This is the temp of ALL oem hid setups in the U.S., and is the only temp that is legal as far as I know (not even going to get into the legality of retrofits here). Not to mention it has the highest lumen output, so do you want pretty blue lights to impress everyone else, or do you want the most light on the road from behind the driver's seat? My oem HID's are perfect, I wouldn't choose any other temp.

The way I always thought was 4300 is white w/ a hint of yellow, and 6000k is white w/ a hint of blue. 4300 putting out the most light, but 6000 is not that far behind. I would choose 4300 or 6000. Any higher than 6000 is too blue/purple IMO.

I'm pretty sure that some OEM HIDs are in the 5k range. I can't remember which ones or where I read that but....

Also, I had a 6k kit on my '06 Zephyr and they were awesome. Plenty of light and the color wasn't too blue. Even the dealer I traded it in at thought they were stock HIDs. I would definitely not go over 6k though.

Stick within 4100 to 5500 K. Higher than that just makes your headlights appear to be very blue, at the expense of usable light. Normal HIDs always appear to be kind of blue anyway, from the perspective of other drivers, because because of the contrast against the yellowish light from ordinary headlights.

i have a navy blue car and wanted a little more bluish tint so i got the 8k. its very bright at night and i really like the way it looks too. i wont change it til the bulbs burn out bc it actually goes well w/ the blue paint. if i would have done it again i probably would have gone 6k.

I have done quite a few HID kits/projector retrofits, and without a doubt go 4300K. Anything with a higher kelvin will be less light output and look too blue (plus it is obvious and everyone knows its a fake "kit" if its too blue).
All cars equipped with HIDs from the factory use 4300K bulbs.

I have many sets of brand new NAIS D2S/D2R high quality ballasts, as well as brand new Philips D2S 4300K HID bulbs if anyone is interested. I can even beat eBay prices on the philips bulbs...$27 for a single bulb or $49 for a pair. PM if interested

+1, if I was to buy again, I would go with 4.3s

Thanks for all your thoughts guys!!! I decided to go with the 6000k, I think they'll be blue enough and bright enough to satisfy me but without attracting the attention of certain public servants ;).

I don't mind if they look aftermarket, I might like it better, I think people are more impressed with what I've added to the car rather than what it came with. But I'm up on my soapbox again lol. Anyway, I'll have to wash her and put some new photos up - the 3 best months of Jersey weather have really distracted me from my LvC obligations haha

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back