Need some help- possible misfire

plowman

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, You seem very knowledgable and tech savvy...so maybe someone could offer some advice.

Last week, I noticed some hesitation and then stuttering upon acceleration. Now, she has no power. (note: I had a flashing emissions light during one episode.) I brought it to Lincoln because I am too busy to troubleshoot. I told them I suspected a possible missfire. They ran the codes and all they found was some needed update for the PCM. Needless to say, that didn't do :q:q:q:q. I still have the same problem. That being lack of power, hesitation and stuttering at around 2-3k RPM...although it happens sometimes at higher.

Do I try get the guys at Lincoln to work with me, or should I troubleshoot/fix this one myself. Any ideas as to what's going on???

Thanks in advance for you help.

Oh, I forgot to mention there is alot riding on this. If this is something that can somewhat easily be diagnosed/fixed, then my love for Miss Lincoln will stay strong. However, this may turn out to be the straw breaking this camels back...forcing me out of the Lincoln Family.

Man, this is intense.

Take it to Autozone or Advance Auto. Get whatever code is being spit out and go from there, it does sound like a coil though. I'm guessing it only does it when it's warm, and you push it, which makes it warmer, right? My #5 was exactly that. No oil, just a bad coil.

Yes I have the warranty until 100k. Unfortunately, that doesn't cover diagnosis for pcm updates...so that cost around $100. It is Ford ESP warranty, so it's good. Not to mention it saved me the cost of a torque converter for a jaguar transmission. $$$

Diagnosis for PCM update? What the heck is that? Look at a list and say Gee... these numbers match, mabye it need an update. I'd bitch about that one. $100 bucks for a bandaide?

:bsflag:

kleetus said:
Take it to Autozone or Advance Auto. Get whatever code is being spit out and go from there, it does sound like a coil though. I'm guessing it only does it when it's warm, and you push it, which makes it warmer, right? My #5 was exactly that. No oil, just a bad coil.

Yes and yes. Tonight on the drive home, she was shuttering something fierce. It seemed moreso in overdrive...then a flashing emissions light.

Why couldn't they catch such a simple thing at the dealership?

kleetus said:
Diagnosis for PCM update? What the heck is that? Look at a list and say Gee... these numbers match, mabye it need an update. I'd bitch about that one. $100 bucks for a bandaide?

Yeah, that's the wordage they used with me. And yes, I'm good and pissed now. I'm about to go into my garage and dive into that engine back. What should I look for?

Intermittent Mechanics... Take it back and bitch, and then go to another dealership. That should have been an easy thing to figure out, with the 5 year history of the car and it's coils.

Before I changed mine out, I would get it from time to time as well as the flashing and steady emission light.

kleetus said:
Intermittent Mechanics... Take it back and bitch, and then go to another dealership. That should have been an easy thing to figure out, with the 5 year history of the car and it's coils.

Before I changed mine out, I would get it from time to time as well as the flashing and steady emission light.

I planned on going back to bitch. But one problem...I live in a small-ass town. Only 1 Ford dealership and the next is 50 miles.

kleetus said:

:bsflag:

I concur. You went in to have a misfire problem diagnosed which is VERY common. If those guys didn't jump all over that issue right away I would go to a different dealer.

plowman said:
Yes and yes. Tonight on the drive home, she was shuttering something fierce. It seemed moreso in overdrive...then a flashing emissions light.

Why couldn't they catch such a simple thing at the dealership?

well they probably did not look at pending codes. I have found that when the misfire induces a flashing CEL it only sets the code in pending.

plowman said:
Oh, I forgot to mention there is alot riding on this. If this is something that can somewhat easily be diagnosed/fixed, then my love for Miss Lincoln will stay strong. However, this may turn out to be the straw breaking this camels back...forcing me out of the Lincoln Family.

Man, this is intense.

lol, dude...thats me in march when i got mine :) got it diognosed about 15 times without the problem showing up...so i took the law into my own hands...well, the first thing that happened was i had a small misfire, which eventually went to a BIG misfire which left me abandoned 60 miles from home. this is when i didnt really know or nessissarly cared to know my car, or any for that matter. so it went into COTTMAN TRANSMISSIONS, and they said i needed a new trans becasue at 48000 mine was completly shot...needless to say, i was very scheptical. turns out that they charged me for taking my trans out, and putting it back in (but their mistake, they gave me a warrenty)...we all know what to do in that situiation...thats right i blew 2 consecutive trannies !! WOO HOO, long story short...yes i know i do have a tendency to ramble, it WAS a misfire, and i replaced the plugs and wires and it was fixed, but then in the summer when i neared 55k+miles the 02 sensors went bad, and it caused somewhat of the same problem, a VERY definate power loss, and often studdering that felt liek a misfire...changed them out and it was right as rain, havent had mush problems with the powertrain since. (if you plan on being with the lincoln family, you should put a few $ aside every month so you can pay for the new bags ur undoubtedly going to need sooner or later)

plowman said:
I planned on going back to bitch. But one problem...I live in a small-ass town. Only 1 Ford dealership and the next is 50 miles.

It is worth the drive to find a LINCOLN dealer. I have been to some of the biggest ford shops and quickly discovered they don't know squat about this car. I would submit that I know more about it than they do 9 times out of 10.

plowman said:

if i were you, id say going the extra 50 miles would be WELL worth it!

MrWilson said:
lol, dude...thats me in march when i got mine :) got it diognosed about 15 times without the problem showing up...so i took the law into my own hands...well, the first thing that happened was i had a small misfire, which eventually went to a BIG misfire which left me abandoned 60 miles from home. this is when i didnt really know or nessissarly cared to know my car, or any for that matter. so it went into COTTMAN TRANSMISSIONS, and they said i needed a new trans becasue at 48000 mine was completly shot...needless to say, i was very scheptical. turns out that they charged me for taking my trans out, and putting it back in (but their mistake, they gave me a warrenty)...we all know what to do in that situiation...thats right i blew 2 consecutive trannies !! WOO HOO, long story short...yes i know i do have a tendency to ramble, it WAS a misfire, and i replaced the plugs and wires and it was fixed, but then in the summer when i neared 55k+miles the 02 sensors went bad, and it caused somewhat of the same problem, a VERY definate power loss, and often studdering that felt liek a misfire...changed them out and it was right as rain, havent had mush problems with the powertrain since. (if you plan on being with the lincoln family, you should put a few $ aside every month so you can pay for the new bags ur undoubtedly going to need sooner or later)

what model lincoln do you have? I agree save some money caus ethis car is a serial killer and its prime tagert is the wallet.

eL eS said:
It is worth the drive to find a LINCOLN dealer. I have been to some of the biggest ford shops and quickly discovered they don't know squat about this car. I would submit that I know more about it than they do 9 times out of 10.

Did I mention you should only take this car to a LINCOLN dealer :invasion:

can anyone back me up on this... Even 100 miles away it si well worth it. This car is the most elegantly over engineered thing I have ever ebcountered. Rube Goldberg would bow to this car.

Is their anything I can take apart and put back together tonight? Free therapy and stress relief, if nothing else.

It's not the money...well I gets it is. I have the money, I just don't like to waste it while being F U ck E D with.

I hear ya. Well unless you have a few ignition coils just haning around and maybe some valve cover gaskets the it is noting you can do tonight. Chances are the CoP, Ignition Coil on Plug, has gone bad or you have a leaky valve cover gasket. The problem is which valve cover and which coil. If you check the coils you might find oil on one or more of them and you can bet it or they are dead. If this is the case then you need to repair the valve cover gaskets and replace the faulty coils.

Check this article from lsbit it should illustrate what you have ahead. Believe me you are better off doing this yourself even if it mean buying the tools and taking time off from work as it is like to recur.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/Valve_Cover_Seal_Inspection/Valve-Cover-Seal.htm

Brought it to Lincoln 2 days after noticed misfire and flashing light...no engine codes show up. What is going on?

the code usually on stays in pending. Unless they specifically looked for it they would not see it. My scan tool is capable of showing codes in this status. Most hand held obdii only show what is thrown in an active state which would light the CEL constantly

I don't know man, but after all the screwing around you are doing, it would be worth the hour drive to go to the next dealership. I would also consider writing a letter to Ford, and copy your first dealship on it. Raise a bit of a stink and you'd be amazed at what happens. You put a little heat on them and prove you're not screwing around, they may be a little more careful. Where is Willmar anyway?

from what I understand the dealers are alloted vehicles on aformual and part of that is cust service. Oddly I have never recvd a post service survey.

I got them fools to let me keep their computer in my car as I drive it for a couple days. It just so happens that whenever they have it, everything is dandy...I get it back, and sure enough it runs terrible. The unfortunate thing, is that their data-recorder has no read out. It records data and then downloads that into some software program?? Oh well...at least I might be able to get some real-time info recorder.

Yes, it is alot of hasle. Willmar is in the dead center of Minnesota. Boring, yes, but it keeps me out of trouble. And I guess you could say Miss LS is the prettiest in town. SHe only has to compete with 2 others.

What a hassle x's 5.

Members online

Back