Need some advice

aztecknight

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was driving from Austin to San Angelo today. I put my car into SST for passing purposes, dropped it to 4th gear and hit the gas. While I was passing, I accidently dropped the car to 3rd gear so the car red-lined briefly. At this moment my AC seemed to have shut off and started blowing hot air. I've seen this happen when I hit the gas before, the compressor I assume shuts off to give you more power. Well, this time though, the AC never blew cold air again. Did I break something? Is there any easy things I can look for that will tell me what might have gone wrong? It doesn't sound like the compressor is turning on when I turn the AC button on. Would red-lining have broken the compressor. Thanks for any help guys.

lexdiamondz10304 said:
does it only blow hot air from one side or both?

It's blowing hot air from both sides. And I was wrong, I just went outside, and it appears that the compressor does kick on. I assume its the compressor. You know that sound it makes when you turn the AC on and off. Coud it be that its just in need of a recharge? I just had my 60000 mile service done, they didn't mention it needing to be recharged. Hopefully whatever is wrong with it is covered under my aftermarket warranty.

you need to find someone with some ac gauges and see if your pressures are correct.you could of sheared the input shaft on the compressor

l-m tech said:
you need to find someone with some ac gauges and see if your pressures are correct.you could of sheared the input shaft on the compressor

Wouldn't the clutch and pulley fall off if he had done that?

Try turning your a/c on and check the temp of the a/c lines going into the evaporator (interior) One of them should be cold. If it is, I would look some place else other than the compressor. You also can look at the compressor while it's running. It's difficult to see, but look and see if the CENTER of the clutch/pulley is turning. It will cycle on and off, but when it cycles on, the center should spin with the pulley. If not, have your a/c system checked by an a/c shop.

2001LS8Sport said:
Wouldn't the clutch and pulley fall off if he had done that?

Try turning your a/c on and check the temp of the a/c lines going into the evaporator (interior) One of them should be cold. If it is, I would look some place else other than the compressor. You also can look at the compressor while it's running. It's difficult to see, but look and see if the CENTER of the clutch/pulley is turning. It will cycle on and off, but when it cycles on, the center should spin with the pulley. If not, have your a/c system checked by an a/c shop.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I fixed my problem. I decided to step back and start trouble shooting from the simplest things. Fuse had gone bad. The A/C Clutch fuse which is fuse 1 on the power distribution block under the hood had blown. I replaced it and voila, cold air. Woo hoo, won't need to take my car to the dealership. Not sure why redlining the car would cause this, but the problem is solved for now. Thanks again.

Members online

Back